Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:45
French to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2016

Hi everybody,

I have been busy translating some texts for a charity and also a sports website. Just to say, the sports website would not have otherwise had these texts translated, they are a very small Mexican blogging site.

I am using my work to build a portfolio and I'm going to use this to send to translation agencies, specifically a particular sports translation which appeals to me a lot.

My question, is it possible for me to pay an experienced translat
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have been busy translating some texts for a charity and also a sports website. Just to say, the sports website would not have otherwise had these texts translated, they are a very small Mexican blogging site.

I am using my work to build a portfolio and I'm going to use this to send to translation agencies, specifically a particular sports translation which appeals to me a lot.

My question, is it possible for me to pay an experienced translator to check both my source and target texts and give me feedback? It would be nice to know where I am going right and wrong. My own opinion is I am really proud of the work I have done so far, but I would love the opinion of another translator.

I would really appreciate any advice. I've tried searching online, but I'm not too sure of the keywords one would use to find such a thing.

All the best,
Adam
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Post a job Aug 26, 2016

Adam-MSCR wrote:
My question, is it possible for me to pay an experienced translator to check both my source and target texts and give me feedback? It would be nice to know where I am going right and wrong. My own opinion is I am really proud of the work I have done so far, but I would love the opinion of another translator.

You have several options right here on the site:
1) post a job on the public job board
2) post a private job the same way - not sure how it works but I get them all the time
3) choose one or several translators from the freelancers' directory and send them emails. You can do that from the directory.

Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila Aug 29, 2016

Do you know how much I should pay for a document of approximately 500 words in word format? It would be comprised of about 250 words in the SL and 250 in the TL.

Knowing a guide price, I will then look to post it as a job listing on proz.

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
Local time: 02:45
French to English
+ ...
Mentoring Aug 29, 2016

Hi Adam,

Before deciding to post a review job publicly (Sheila's first suggestion), you might want to consider the Proz mentoring programme (http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/mentoring-program), whereby experienced translators provide guidance and feedback to those just starting out.

I've not used it myself, but from the description it might be a better
... See more
Hi Adam,

Before deciding to post a review job publicly (Sheila's first suggestion), you might want to consider the Proz mentoring programme (http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/mentoring-program), whereby experienced translators provide guidance and feedback to those just starting out.

I've not used it myself, but from the description it might be a better way of getting constructive feedback from a recognised professional rather than posting a job publicly through the job-site. My concern in doing so would that you might find yourself inundated with applicants and it could be difficult to decide which of them will be able to provide you with unbiased, professional feedback.

This option might be worth a shot, otherwise if you are a member of a local or national translators' association, they may well offer a similar mentoring service or be able to put you in touch with experienced translators in the sports' field who you could approach directly, along the lines of Sheila's other suggestions via Proz.

Whatever method you choose, good luck!

Irene
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I should have ordered the list differently Aug 29, 2016

Irene McClure wrote:
Before deciding to post a review job publicly (Sheila's first suggestion)

My concern in doing so would that you might find yourself inundated with applicants and it could be difficult to decide which of them will be able to provide you with unbiased, professional feedback.

You're quite right, Irene. I agree totally that N°1 in my list is NOT the preferred route. In fact, I personally would only do N°3, or perhaps N°2.

Mentoring is a possibility, certainly, but it's a much bigger deal and you first need to purchase membership (a worthwhile investment only if you use it wisely).

@ Adam: That's a small job that would attract my minimum rate if I did bilingual revision, which I don't. If you were looking for comprehensive feedback rather than just correction of errors then it would probably take an hour. You can get some idea of rates here: http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates They are derived statistically from the rates we input to ProZ.com.

Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Big help Aug 31, 2016

Thank you all.

I will follow your advice and make number 3 my main priority while also considering a 6 month full membership so that I can take advantage of the mentoring program.

All the best,
Adam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update and question about building my portfolio

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »