What method to use for pricing proofreading?
Thread poster: silviaa
silviaa
silviaa
Local time: 20:05
English to Spanish
Oct 1, 2001

The pricing for translations is done either per word or per characters, per time or per length. Which is the criteria for proofreading? which is the measurement?

And for editing?

thanks for the help and suggestions!!!

Alexandra Hague
Alexandra Hague  Identity Verified
French to English
Hourly Oct 1, 2001

I usually charge an hourly rate for proofreading. Hope this helps. You can check out people\'s profiles to get an idea of pricing for proofreading.

Jesús Paredes
Jesús Paredes
Local time: 14:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Half of translation rate Oct 3, 2001

My rate for proofreading is normally half what I charge for translating. I don\'t know if this is a common practice but I have noticed that other translators follow a similar criterion. I have also seen people who charge by the hour. This is safer in case of jobs that require a lot of editing.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-03 17:23 ]

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
Endless options... Oct 3, 2001

I think you have endless options to price. I cannot get 50% for proofreading from my customers. I charge about 15% for monlingual check (spell and grammar check) and 30% for cross check (proofreading). Here in Japan we base our calculation on the number of bytes in MS DOS format, 1000 bytes equal one page. If you convert that to English word count, you get abut 150 words.

HTH

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Word or time. Oct 3, 2001

I evaluate a sample text and then either quote per word (for good translations) or for estimated time (for bad translations). Currently I charge:

- EUR 0.03 per word source text

- EUR 45.00 per hour

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends. Oct 9, 2001

I wouldn\'t take less than half my translation rate for proofing, and that\'s for proofing pure and simple. If it\'s also checking someone else\'s translation against the original, that\'s extra; how much extra depends on the quality of the translation.

Stéphanie Rackind
Stéphanie Rackind  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
By the hour Oct 23, 2001

From experience proofreading should be charged by the hour.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What method to use for pricing proofreading?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »