Mobile menu

Adding second language.
Thread poster: klghemil ghseil
klghemil ghseil
Equatorial Guinea
Local time: 09:24
Mar 21, 2005

I am pretty much established as a translator working German-English, and have been living in Germany for a few years. However I studied French/German (really original combination) at uni 50/50 and would like to be able to start translating French/English as well, although I have never yet done any work with French professionally, and am obviously in a German environment. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get agencies etc to give me a chance with French, or how I can get expericence translating with my second foreign language so I can start offering it professionally??? Would be really grateful for any advice.
Jenny H.

Direct link Reply with quote

Crystal Samples  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
French to English
+ ...
adding second language Mar 22, 2005

Hi Jenny,

I suggest that you ask one of the agencies that you have a good relationship with, one that is already very satisfied with your German-English work and has a demand for this language combination to test you out in your new working language. They already know that you're a good translator, and that fact that you had just as much uni education in French as you did in German will probably make them more inclined to give you a chance.

Good luck,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding second language.

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs