https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/30828-off_topic_moving_to_vienna.html

Off topic: Off topic - Moving to Vienna
Thread poster: Olga Simon
Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:17
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2005

Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask for some help from those colleagues who reside in Austria. My family might be relocating to Vienna in the not so distant future, therefore I need to gather some information on the cost of living, etc. I would appreciate if I could get answers to the following questions:

1) I read that an average salary in Austrua is 1,500 euros and to rent an apartment is around 500 euros. I understand that everything depends on location and the number o
... See more
Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask for some help from those colleagues who reside in Austria. My family might be relocating to Vienna in the not so distant future, therefore I need to gather some information on the cost of living, etc. I would appreciate if I could get answers to the following questions:

1) I read that an average salary in Austrua is 1,500 euros and to rent an apartment is around 500 euros. I understand that everything depends on location and the number of rooms (for rent) and education, years of experience etc. in case of salaries, but nevertheless I would like to know whether this information reflects the real situation.

2) How much does water, electricity and gas cost in Austria nowadays (per m3 and kWh)?

3) How much is a kilo of bread, beef and say a litre of milk in a grocery store?

Thank you so much for your time in advance!

Olga.

[Edited at 2005-03-29 10:13]
Collapse

Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Similar to Germany Mar 29, 2005

The cost of living will be similar to Germany. Generally, living in the city means apartments are more expensive the more they are in the fashionable districts, varying from 5-10 Euro per square meter of size. The costs for electricity, water and gas (and some other costs) usually sum up to additional 2-3 Euro per square meter.
In the (far) countryside, flats are cheaper, but every grown-up needs his/her own car, which costs approx. 200-400 Euro per month (petrol is about 1,10-1,20 per lit
... See more
The cost of living will be similar to Germany. Generally, living in the city means apartments are more expensive the more they are in the fashionable districts, varying from 5-10 Euro per square meter of size. The costs for electricity, water and gas (and some other costs) usually sum up to additional 2-3 Euro per square meter.
In the (far) countryside, flats are cheaper, but every grown-up needs his/her own car, which costs approx. 200-400 Euro per month (petrol is about 1,10-1,20 per litre). The better jobs are - of course - in the vicinity of the cities, with Vienna being the most expensive site to live in Austria.

A kilo of bread in Germany ranges 2-4 Euro, depending where you buy it, a litre of milk is about 1,10. Meat ranges from 4-10 Euro a kilo, depending on type and quality.

To make an average living a single can live with 1,500 Euro salary per month, but a family of four will need well above 3,000 Euro per month (cumulated).

The most expensive way is going out for dinner. This will end up at about 50 Euro per person with food and drinks for a convenient evening.
Having lunch in a bistro is cheaper, at around 6-10 Euro (no drinks).

For preparation, it is always a good idea to visit the websites of the major newspapers of the region, where you will find ads for flats and ads for end consumer products with pricing. You will be quickly informed about the local situation.

HTH
Herbert

[Edited at 2005-03-29 09:52]
Collapse

Olga Simon
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newspapers Mar 29, 2005

:
it is always a good idea to visit the websites of the major newspapers of the region

Yes, it is a great idea, Herbert, thank you. I would for sure check it out if I could find out what are the major newspapers in Austria.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A few Austrian papers Mar 29, 2005

www.kurier.at
www.krone.at

and a good collection:

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/austria.htm

[Edited at 2005-03-29 11:00]

[Edited at 2005-03-29 11:00]

lisevs
lisevs
some more information Mar 29, 2005

here are some other websites of austrian newspapers:

http://derstandard.at/
http://diepresse.at/

this site might also be helpful - it provides different sorts of informations about vienna (living, authori
... See more
here are some other websites of austrian newspapers:

http://derstandard.at/
http://diepresse.at/

this site might also be helpful - it provides different sorts of informations about vienna (living, authorities, how to get established etc.)

http://www.wien.gv.at/

good luck - vienna is a great place to live

br
lise
Collapse

Olga Simon
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry to bug more... Mar 29, 2005

Sorry for bugging you more, but I have two more questions:

1) What is the taxation rate in Austria?

2) Do you have ANY idea on how much non-government organizations (NGOs) might be paying (gross/net)? At least a remote idea on that?

AngieD
AngieD  Identity Verified
English
+ ...
Some price ideas in Vienna Mar 29, 2005

You'll be pleased to hear that the prices Herbert gives are probably a bit high for Austria. In my experience (I have lived in Vienna for the past 12 years), the cost of living in Austria – and even Vienna – is generally a bit lower than in Germany.

Having just come back from the supermarket, here are today's prices:

kilo of bread 2-3 Euro
litre of milk 75-85 cents
kilo of beef 13 - 35 Euro (pork is of course much cheaper at 4-15 Euro a kilo)
250g
... See more
You'll be pleased to hear that the prices Herbert gives are probably a bit high for Austria. In my experience (I have lived in Vienna for the past 12 years), the cost of living in Austria – and even Vienna – is generally a bit lower than in Germany.

Having just come back from the supermarket, here are today's prices:

kilo of bread 2-3 Euro
litre of milk 75-85 cents
kilo of beef 13 - 35 Euro (pork is of course much cheaper at 4-15 Euro a kilo)
250g butter 1 Euro.

Petrol is also cheaper than Germany (currently around 95 cents a litre for super and 90 cents for diesel) and public transport in Vienna is efficient and cheap (an annual ticket for the whole network costs just over 400 Euro).

On the down side, I think you would be very lucky to find a flat for 500 EUR per month. You will probably be looking more at 800-1000 for around 75 square metres in a decent district. I am a bit out of touch with salary levels, but 1,500 seems a bit on the low side, I think you could hope for a bit more.

Eating out is not as expensive as Herbert thought – 50 Euro per person would get you a gourmet meal here – look more for 20-25 Euro per person for dinner with wine (main courses will generally start at around 7-10 Euro, yesterday pizza with salad and wine for 2 people cost us just over 30 Euro).

You should definitely try the newspapers as everyone else suggests and the government website www.help.gv.at is a useful source of information on bureaucracy, taxes, registration etc.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck if you do make the move – Wien is a great place to live!
Angie
Collapse

Prawi
Prawi  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
I agree with Angie Mar 29, 2005

I think Wien is cheaper than Germany, and a great city to live. As for rents, afaIk the average in Wien amounts to about 7€ plus expenses - pro square meter I mean, but it's really hard to tell, it depends on too many things (district, new or old house and so on). Taxes: there are four (or five)different rates, depending on how much you earn, from O% up to about 50%.
Come to Wien and have a look yourself:-)

HTH, ciao

Olga Simon
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 30, 2005

I appreciate your inputs. Thanks a lot to everybody!

Have a nice day
Olga.

gweber
gweber
English
up Nov 3, 2008

I'm sorry but what's about current state in cost of living in Wien? How much would I expect for gross income from employer who wants me to do an offer with relocation to Wien? Please note that I have 3 dependants (my wife and my 2 sons). Could be 4500€ per month gross (2300€ net) enough to rent a suitable flat and support my family?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Off topic - Moving to Vienna

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »