Looking for a French to English translation mentor
Thread poster: Anna Fitzgerald

Anna Fitzgerald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:28
French to English
Apr 11, 2005

Hello,

I am a freelance French to English translator. I have been translating professionally for the last four years and am currently trying to build my client base so that I can support myself as a translator. My idea of a mentor is someone who would share his or her workload. I would gain in experience, rather than being paid. My areas of specialization are religion, biology, biochemistry, chemistry and contemporary art. Having studied biochemistry in both French and American universities, I feel I have the background to become a medical translator and would love to work with a translator in this field.

Another suggestion I have had is to look for volunteer translation work. If anyone has any ideas as to where such work can be found, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Be careful Apr 11, 2005

Hi Anna --

I think you're setting yourself up for exploitation.

Perhaps a better idea to increase your workload would be to learn how to use CAT Tools. You can download Wordfast for free at:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage&lang=engb

If you like it and use it enough to have large translation memories, you can purchase a licence for a very reasonable price.

The manual is excellent, and from there you could try Trados.

But instead of Trados, I would personally recommend SDLX. You can try the full version for one month without any commitment. The documentation is free and available at:

http://www.sdl.com/products-home/products/products-support/products-support-documentation/products-support-documentation-2004.htm

Good luck!

Esther

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree with Esther Apr 12, 2005

Anna Fitzgerald wrote:

Hello,

I am a freelance French to English translator. I have been translating professionally for the last four years and am currently trying to build my client base so that I can support myself as a translator. My idea of a mentor is someone who would share his or her workload. I would gain in experience, rather than being paid. My areas of specialization are religion, biology, biochemistry, chemistry and contemporary art. Having studied biochemistry in both French and American universities, I feel I have the background to become a medical translator and would love to work with a translator in this field.

Another suggestion I have had is to look for volunteer translation work. If anyone has any ideas as to where such work can be found, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Anna

I agree with Esther, you cannot work for nothing. Is there a chance that you are under-estimating your skills and knowledge?

With field knowledge of biochemistry, you shouldn't have any problems getting work (and you say you have been translating part-time for 4 years).

For some objective feedback, maybe you should do a course (there are plenty online, from the UK anyway), just to learn about the issues involved.

See this post on volunterer work with 'Translators without Borders': http://www.proz.com/topic/28033

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a French to English translation mentor

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs