https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/33231-vat_number_for_an_italian_working_in_the_uk.html

VAT number for an Italian working in the UK
Thread poster: Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2005

Dear all,

At the end of August I will most probably move to London to get enrolled at Uni again to take an MA in technical translation and try to learn more about this great job...

Of course I will have to work at the same time, I guess at the beginning I will be doing a little bit of everything (waitress, secretary etc. etc.) to make a living but then, after a while, I would like to keep translating maybe as a freelance. Then problem is...I don't know how to do it (exc
... See more
Dear all,

At the end of August I will most probably move to London to get enrolled at Uni again to take an MA in technical translation and try to learn more about this great job...

Of course I will have to work at the same time, I guess at the beginning I will be doing a little bit of everything (waitress, secretary etc. etc.) to make a living but then, after a while, I would like to keep translating maybe as a freelance. Then problem is...I don't know how to do it (except for how I will find my own clients...but that's just another story!)as far as the tax matter is concerned.

I posted a very similar thread on the Italian forum and a colleague told me that if I don't get to £58,000 per year I don't have to have a VAT number, but still to open a UK VAT number I have to be residing in the UK... and what about if I work for "foreign" customers (maybe I can keep one or two of my Italian clients...)?

I am a little confused about this, I'd really appreciate your advice!

Thanks
Cristina
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:26
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No matter where your clients are Jun 10, 2005

Hi,

What counts is only where you live and where you pay for taxes, no matter where your clients are or which your nationality is.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with having no VAT no., if conditions for registering are not given, and it doesn't mean that you are not professional (I am saying this because I know how some Italians think about this...).

I'd suggest to ask a local tax advisor, once you are there.

Giuliana

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:26
English to Italian
+ ...
VAT number Jun 10, 2005

I don't really know how things go in Italy (shame on me) tax-wise at least, but in the UK there is no need of VAT number until you don't go over a certain turn over. Cristina, if you are going to be here only for a wee while I wouldn't worry about it at all. You'll have to fill in a tax return form, but everybody who is self-employed has to.... What you will need is a National Insurance Number, but that will be given to you as soon you start earning and tell the tax office.

Andrea

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:41]

Louise Gough
Louise Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Registering for VAT Jun 10, 2005

Further to previous replies, I would suggest that it is a good idea for freelance translators in the UK to register for VAT regardless of their income. You can register voluntarily, even if you earn below the £58,000 threshold. You have to complete a return every three months and pay the tax collected from your clients, having deducted the VAT you yourself have paid on your business expenses. There is no disadvantage to translators in charging VAT to their clients (unlike other service provider... See more
Further to previous replies, I would suggest that it is a good idea for freelance translators in the UK to register for VAT regardless of their income. You can register voluntarily, even if you earn below the £58,000 threshold. You have to complete a return every three months and pay the tax collected from your clients, having deducted the VAT you yourself have paid on your business expenses. There is no disadvantage to translators in charging VAT to their clients (unlike other service providers whose clients are ordinary members of the public), since most clients are also registered businesses and will reclaim this VAT when they submit their own VAT return. The benefit for you as the translator is that you can claim your own input tax, i.e. VAT on your own business expenses and running costs etc., which you can't do if you are not registered.

Re clients outside the UK: if the client is based in the EU you don't charge VAT but have to state the customer's VAT number on your invoice (to enable some kind of reciprocal arrangement to operate). If the client is outside the EU, you don't charge it at all.

Best regards

Louise
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Phone the Inland Revenue Jun 10, 2005

They are very kind and helpful.

Usually, if you go abroad to study, you are supposed to keep your 'residenza' in Italy (I worked in a Consulate and that's what we had to tell students) but if you intend to work that's another matter. I would also contact the Agenzia delle entrate and make things very clear on both sides.

In order to work freelance in the UK you have to tell the Inland Revenue (a phone call is enough). You don't pay taxes on the first £ 5000 you earn (
... See more
They are very kind and helpful.

Usually, if you go abroad to study, you are supposed to keep your 'residenza' in Italy (I worked in a Consulate and that's what we had to tell students) but if you intend to work that's another matter. I would also contact the Agenzia delle entrate and make things very clear on both sides.

In order to work freelance in the UK you have to tell the Inland Revenue (a phone call is enough). You don't pay taxes on the first £ 5000 you earn (personal allowance) but you still need to fill in a tax return.

Buona fortuna
Lucia
Collapse

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jun 13, 2005

Thanks a lot for your advice/suggestions!
Now the matter is a lot clearer to me and I guess it will be even more understandable when I'll be there...I'll phone the Inland Revenues and also contact a local tax advisor! And...I'll keep you updated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT number for an Italian working in the UK

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »