Thread poster: Tamara Sinobad

Tamara Sinobad  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2005

I am a fresh freelancer and I need some help from my experienced colleagues. I have contacted several agencies and so far I've entered to databases.
My question is: How many agencies do you normally work with?
I wouldn't like to overdo it and on the other hand I would definitely like to have enough work.
What's the right balance?
Thank you all in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 06:59
German to English
Time will take care of this issue Jul 1, 2005

Do not expect to be swamped with work if you send your CV to a dozen or more agencies.
Not every agency you send a CV to will select you for work in your language combination, even though they may enter you into their database. After using you once, some agencies may not hire you again (for whatever reason: could be price, logistics, quality of work), while others may prefer to use you for specific types of documents, especially if you have a specialty. I work with about a half dozen agencies on a regular basis, although I've sent out a lot of CVs over the years. From time-to-time I send out my CV to a new agency, or an agency my contact me based upon a colleague's recommendation.

vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
You can never overdo it Jul 2, 2005

Hi Pickwick,

I would say that as long as you are not overwhelmed with work, keep exploring and sending your CV out to new agencies and potential direct clients. When you have enough work and are too busy, then stop, then again as soon as you have a lull, keep on contacting agencies. Like with any freelance position, you have to build a client base, and it will be slow at first, and you will have to invest a lot of time. As time goes by, you will have repeat clients, but that doesn't mean that you should stop contacting new potential clients when you experience a "down-time". You can never be too rich, or have too many clients, I think the saying goes.

Sve najbolje ti zeli,

Vera

pickwick wrote:

I am a fresh freelancer and I need some help from my experienced colleagues. I have contacted several agencies and so far I've entered to databases.
I wouldn't like to overdo it and on the other hand I would definitely like to have enough work.

Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The key is choosing the right translation companies... Jul 3, 2005

Work from translation companies tends to ebb and flow... Some of my principal clients a couple of years ago barely have any work for me now.

The key is to diversify your client list and as soon as you've built your business sufficiently, start "firing" the less desirable clients... those that pay a bit less or a bit more slowly or are simply unpleasant to work with.

And strive to keep picking up new, higher end clients to replace those you "fire" or that naturally evaporate for one reason or another.

Good luck.
pickwick wrote:

paula13  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:59
Member (2005)
Never enough! Jul 3, 2005

pickwick wrote:

I am a firm believer that opportunity does not knock on anyone’s door. If you're having a slow couple of days, go look for clients. When you're overwhelmed, take a break. As long as you're not compromising the quality of your work it’s never too much. Just make sure you’re not taking on more than you know you can handle.

Tamara Sinobad  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm impatient... Jul 3, 2005

I can't wait to start getting some serious work! I've read that it takes a year or two to get established as a freelancer and it seems to me that it will never happen. I've been doing nothing but contacting agencies and so far I've translated 500 words. On the other hand, I am aware that I shouldn't overstretch myself, and that's why I asked for your advice.
Thank you! I guess I just needed some support.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies and freelancers

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs