[Edited at 2005-08-06 16:30]

Direct link Reply with quote

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:03
Swedish to English
+ ...
organisation... Jul 5, 2005

I've been lucky recently and worked with a few extremely good agencies. These have have, on the whole, provided me with: initial estimated word counts, subject matter and deadline before I accept the job, reference files and links to helpful glossaries on the Internet, a document with layout instructions and info about the text's purpose/target readers. Plus there's been at least one project manager who sent a work order, answered e-mails quickly, provided feedback about my translation and sent written invoicing information... and so far I've been paid on time too!

I'm a happy freelancer at present!

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
More positive bits. Jul 5, 2005

Hello,

I really appreciate it if the agency:

1. when they can, let you know in advance that you may have something coming and do not assume yu can do it.

2. they reply to queries really fast.

3. they send a PO that clearly states wordcount, deadline, payment, and all data necessary to prepare the invoice.

4. they acknowledge receipt of translated files reasonably fast.

More when they come to mind.

Best,
Mar

gad
United States
Local time: 14:03
French to English
Agencies I like Jul 5, 2005

Basically, to sum it up, I'd say they communicate well and pay according to terms. While you can't know the latter until you actually work for an agency, you usually can tell pretty quickly whether or not an agency communicates well. Communicating well includes letting me know the exact date and time the translation is due, as well as confirming receipt of the finished translation assignment, for example.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
more bits Jul 6, 2005

In addition to Mar's comments - especially points 3+4 - I appreciate:

1. That the agency tells me who the customer is so that I can find their website and check any terminology they have already used. This means NOT replacing any references to the customer's name with "XXX". Extremely irritating.

2. Providing the TM they already have - this is not always automatic, some agencies have to be prompted.

Cheers,
Jill

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 21:03
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Deleted Jul 6, 2005

---

Karine Piera  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
My point of view Jul 6, 2005

On top of your previous notes, I would add some others:

I like that if I have a terribly badly written sentence in the source language, and I have to ask the agency about it, they answer me fast and efficiently (and not, 'well, do as you understand')by contacting the end customer.

I like when they pay me in advance (it did happen to me twice already with the same agency) when the end customer has paid them earlier than expected.

I like when they don't argue about my rates

Feedback (even, and especially if I am not selected for the assigment) is a real plus to improve myself and/or to understand the reason(s) why I hadn't been chosen.

And on top of all, I love when they come back for more work.

[Edited at 2005-07-06 15:17]

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 21:03
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Deleted Jul 7, 2005

---

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleted

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs