Reference lists (agencies)
Thread poster: kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:35
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

Do you usually provide a client list when you are submitting proposals? If so, do you usually ask for permission from your clients in order to do that? If so, when is to your experience the best moment to ask for permission? I am not thinking of agencies only, not individual companies.

Direct link Reply with quote
Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dear Kim, Jul 11, 2005

Welcome to our world.

Yes, I would definitely ask permission of agencies or direct clients to use their names for references. Most of them graciously give permission and some of them even go so far as to allow potential customers to contact them for more extensive references. Thank you, you know who you are, you are the greatest!

Good luck!
I wish you lots of happy translating hours!

From sunny Suriname

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
The two best moments Jul 11, 2005

Kim Jasper wrote:
If so, when is to your experience the best moment to ask for permission?

The best moment is when your client seems to think about giving the project (which you would need, presently) away to a cheaper colleague:

"I would like to use this project as a reference project for future clients. Would you mind that?"

The second best moment is when your client sends you the final feedback from the end client who is very happy:

"Thank you for the good news! I am particularly proud of this project. Would you mind me to use it as a reference?"

P.S.: I stopped including references after half a year of freelancing. I had enough to do and I did not really feel comfortable to provide trade secrets to possible competitors..

[Edited at 2005-07-11 21:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reference lists (agencies)

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs