Thread poster: dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

Hi all
Please accept me as a new person to this forum and to this wonderful site. I have a question about certifications for translators and or interpreters
I was wondering if anyone knows how to become a certified translator. I know about ATA, but , are there any other agencies ? Or any other providers for such certificates? if so can you provide some information please ?
I am more interested in the translators, rather than interpreters certifications, but, if you know of any organization, association, agencies ,,, etc that provide one or both please let me know

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
English to German
+ ...
Translator Associations Jul 20, 2005

Hi dmoamin,
Why don't you check the list of translator associations, and the translator associations forum?

Best regards,

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:38
English to Russian
+ ...
certified Jul 21, 2005

If you want to become a certified translator in Canada you have to have a university level degree in linguistics / languages / translation plus a proven experience. Then you submit your educational credentials, samples of your work, references, pay some fee (probably do tests, prove you have an experience doing translations) to the Multilingual Directorate Translation Bureau (within the federal government) - they assess your submission and after that they can grant you with an accreditation - you may consider yourself a certified Canadian translator in certain language pairs - then get a business number from Revenue Canada, register yourself provincially in the business registry - you're done.))

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:38
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Through the military...? Jul 21, 2005

I noticed in your profile you said that you work with the US military. Have you checked with them about any examinations or such that you could take? I know that there is State Dept. certification but I assume you have to work with them to get it. Perhaps there is something similar through the US military? They may be able to lead you in the right direction. Good luck to you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs