Thread poster: dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

Hi all
Please accept me as a new person to this forum and to this wonderful site. I have a question about certifications for translators and or interpreters
I was wondering if anyone knows how to become a certified translator. I know about ATA, but , are there any other agencies ? Or any other providers for such certificates? if so can you provide some information please ?
I am more interested in the translators, rather than interpreters certifications, but, if you know of any organization, association, agencies ,,, etc that provide one or both please let me know

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:01
English to German
+ ...
Translator Associations Jul 20, 2005

Hi dmoamin,
Why don't you check the list of translator associations, and the translator associations forum?

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
English to Russian
+ ...
certified Jul 21, 2005

If you want to become a certified translator in Canada you have to have a university level degree in linguistics / languages / translation plus a proven experience. Then you submit your educational credentials, samples of your work, references, pay some fee (probably do tests, prove you have an experience doing translations) to the Multilingual Directorate Translation Bureau (within the federal government) - they assess your submission and after that they can grant you with an accreditation - you may consider yourself a certified Canadian translator in certain language pairs - then get a business number from Revenue Canada, register yourself provincially in the business registry - you're done.))

Direct link Reply with quote
Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Through the military...? Jul 21, 2005

I noticed in your profile you said that you work with the US military. Have you checked with them about any examinations or such that you could take? I know that there is State Dept. certification but I assume you have to work with them to get it. Perhaps there is something similar through the US military? They may be able to lead you in the right direction. Good luck to you!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »


Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs