Translation Company Internships in France
Thread poster: Tania Therien

Tania Therien
Canada
Local time: 15:00
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

I'm looking to find an internship with a French translation company, both in order to learn more about the business as well as to perfect my spoken French. Has anyone done this before? I'm hoping for any advice on finding an internship in France available, but as a non-EU resident, I'd be especially grateful for advice from anyone from North America who has tried this.

Thanks,
Tania

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
Me too! Jan 16, 2006

Sorry to butt in on your post, but I'm also very interested in finding an internship with a French / francophone translation agency and would welcome any help people out there could provide.

Good luck Tania.

Mark Smith, UK

Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck so far Jan 17, 2006

Hi Mark -

I bet you'll have an easier time of it because of your EU status - at least I hope so. In August and September I sent out fifty resumes and covering letters in French to various translation companies. Only a handful got back to me to say that they weren't taking any interns at this time, and I talked to another on the phone who said that they'd be happy to have me on a volunteer basis. Alas, at this point, I couldn't afford to work overseas without at least a little renumeration. It seems that most internships in France are volunteer, so if that's an ooption for you it should work out fine.

Good luck!

Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
German to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear that Jan 18, 2006

You're in a difficult position there, though I'm not in a position to work for free either, since I have student loans from two degrees to pay off. I have first hand experience of your problems, as my fiancée who lives here with me is American and is also searching for an internship/trainee post. Sorry no-one on proz responded to your post either. I'm a bit surprised, as I expected people to be forthcoming with tips and info.

Good luck to you too with whatever you're doing.

Mark Smith

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Tania and Mark, Jan 18, 2006

Maybe you can post this in French forum.

Bonne chance

[Edited at 2006-01-18 11:02]

Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The French forum is a great idea Jan 19, 2006

How embarrassing that I hadn't thought of that before! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Company Internships in France

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs