https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/35639-translation_company_internships_in_france.html

Translation Company Internships in France
Thread poster: Tania Therien
Tania Therien
Tania Therien
Canada
Local time: 21:05
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

I'm looking to find an internship with a French translation company, both in order to learn more about the business as well as to perfect my spoken French. Has anyone done this before? I'm hoping for any advice on finding an internship in France available, but as a non-EU resident, I'd be especially grateful for advice from anyone from North America who has tried this.

Thanks,
Tania

Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
German to English
+ ...
Me too! Jan 16, 2006

Sorry to butt in on your post, but I'm also very interested in finding an internship with a French / francophone translation agency and would welcome any help people out there could provide.

Good luck Tania.

Mark Smith, UK

Tania Therien
Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck so far Jan 17, 2006

Hi Mark -

I bet you'll have an easier time of it because of your EU status - at least I hope so. In August and September I sent out fifty resumes and covering letters in French to various translation companies. Only a handful got back to me to say that they weren't taking any interns at this time, and I talked to another on the phone who said that they'd be happy to have me on a volunteer basis. Alas, at this point, I couldn't afford to work overseas without at least a little renume
... See more
Hi Mark -

I bet you'll have an easier time of it because of your EU status - at least I hope so. In August and September I sent out fifty resumes and covering letters in French to various translation companies. Only a handful got back to me to say that they weren't taking any interns at this time, and I talked to another on the phone who said that they'd be happy to have me on a volunteer basis. Alas, at this point, I couldn't afford to work overseas without at least a little renumeration. It seems that most internships in France are volunteer, so if that's an ooption for you it should work out fine.

Good luck!
Collapse

Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
German to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear that Jan 18, 2006

You're in a difficult position there, though I'm not in a position to work for free either, since I have student loans from two degrees to pay off. I have first hand experience of your problems, as my fiancée who lives here with me is American and is also searching for an internship/trainee post. Sorry no-one on proz responded to your post either. I'm a bit surprised, as I expected people to be forthcoming with tips and info.

Good luck to you too with whatever you're doing.
<
... See more
You're in a difficult position there, though I'm not in a position to work for free either, since I have student loans from two degrees to pay off. I have first hand experience of your problems, as my fiancée who lives here with me is American and is also searching for an internship/trainee post. Sorry no-one on proz responded to your post either. I'm a bit surprised, as I expected people to be forthcoming with tips and info.

Good luck to you too with whatever you're doing.

Mark Smith
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Tania and Mark, Jan 18, 2006

Maybe you can post this in French forum.

Bonne chance

[Edited at 2006-01-18 11:02]

Tania Therien
Tania Therien
Canada
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The French forum is a great idea Jan 19, 2006

How embarrassing that I hadn't thought of that before! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Company Internships in France

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »