https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/35806-advice_needed.html

Advice needed
Thread poster: EagerToStart
EagerToStart
EagerToStart
English to Russian
Aug 19, 2005

I'm not a professional translator. However, I would like to translate one of my favorite books (non fiction) and probably try to publish it in my home country. I'm not familiar with procedure - copyright issues, etc. Please explain the key steps for getting started.
Thanks in advance!

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:48
some questions Aug 23, 2005

Do you have _any_ prior translation experience? Do you plan on getting any if you don't? Or contacting your national translation association? Are you 110% certain that your linguistic skills are up to the task?

Literary translation is a lot of hard work and it is not the kind of job you would do for the fame, money or the chicks

Think really really hard first. Is there a market for this book?just because
... See more
Do you have _any_ prior translation experience? Do you plan on getting any if you don't? Or contacting your national translation association? Are you 110% certain that your linguistic skills are up to the task?

Literary translation is a lot of hard work and it is not the kind of job you would do for the fame, money or the chicks

Think really really hard first. Is there a market for this book?just because you love it does not always mean that everyone else will love it and buy it.

At the end of the day, as much as you might love the book and want to share it, you've really got to think of the financial and commercial aspects too - why should you bear the brunt of the costs?

One last thing - do you want to make any money from the translation of this book (there will be a LOT of human resource hours involved, along with overheads to consider) or is this a kind of a hobby project?

[Edited at 2005-08-24 11:28]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »