Sofia DE SOUSA
Sofia DE SOUSA
France
Local time: 05:12
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Hi,

I would like to start doing some marketing in order to find direct clients, but how can I do this ?
I was thinking in doing some kind of brochure and send it by snail mail or by email.
Do you know where can I find some templates of (translators) marketing pamphlets.

Thanks for all your help.

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
It s not an answer Aug 23, 2005

but another question:

Which program would you suggest to send e mails to potential clients? (Not Spam)

Alicia

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:12
tried and tested method Aug 23, 2005

How about a newspaper ad or taking an ad in the phone book.

I've given my friends & family a number of my business cards each as well, so they can pass them on to other people if necessary - that has worked too.

[Edited at 2005-08-23 17:23]

Silvia Puit V�gelin
Silvia Puit V�gelin
Belgium
German to Spanish
+ ...
business cards may work Aug 23, 2005

What I did at the beginning and gave me some direct clients is print some business cards and visit my potential clients (in my case notary's offices and real estate agencies, as I do sworn translations) directly, introduce myself and leave a card for them and some others, so that they can give tham to their clients.
Maybe this can be helpful!
Best regards,
Silvia

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good old fashioned footwork Aug 23, 2005

Hi,
This is what I do.
1. Define your personal strengths and find out who your potential clients are (IT companies, ad agencies, international lawyers, etc.)
2. Find those clients locally. Despite the Internet age, people like to have local contacts.
3. Telephone and GET THE NAME of whoever is reponsible for international communications.
4. (Snail) mail that person with a brochure and cover letter.
5. Two or three days after posting the above, telephone that
... See more
Hi,
This is what I do.
1. Define your personal strengths and find out who your potential clients are (IT companies, ad agencies, international lawyers, etc.)
2. Find those clients locally. Despite the Internet age, people like to have local contacts.
3. Telephone and GET THE NAME of whoever is reponsible for international communications.
4. (Snail) mail that person with a brochure and cover letter.
5. Two or three days after posting the above, telephone that person. Don't give up until you have them personally on the line.
6. Back up the arguments in your brochure with your own verbal arguments. Convince him/her of your competence.
7. Don't be discouraged if nothing happens immediately. I recently gained large contracts from a company I contacted a whole year before!
8. Hope that helps

Afterthought: Oh, and business cards are a great idea. Always carry them with you and always give one to ANY new acquaintence (friends, relations, whoever...).

-Mike-
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
KudoZ!!! Aug 24, 2005

Get to the top of the KudoZ list in your working language combination(s) and they'll contact you, especially if you have a selling multilingual ProZ page.

Works for me. See http://www.proz.com/pro/7599

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Russian to English
+ ...
How to find direct clients? Aug 24, 2005

Some great informaton in the Article Knowledgebase.

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Business-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/Marketing-Your-Language-Services/

Best of luck!

Kurt

Sofia DE SOUSA
Sofia DE SOUSA
France
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Aug 27, 2005

for your suggestions.

I made my own business cards and I'm trying to do some kind of flyer, with information on me and on my services.

I also thought that going to professional exhibitions would be a good idea.

Thank's again

Sofia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find direct clients ???

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »