Unsolicited advertising - is this a common marketing technique among translators?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:19
German to English
Sep 2, 2005

Hello all,

I've made myself a little advertising leaflet and have been thinking about posting it to local companies which might need my services. Is this a common marketing technique among translators? Has anyone got any tips about how to stop the addressee throwing it straight in the bin and remembering me forever after as a nasty junk mail poster?

Thanks

Anne

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-02 12:54]

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hand it over in person! Sep 2, 2005

I don't really have a tip about what to do if you post it - I have tried this and it has paid off in terms of paying for postage/income generated, but the responses are not generally overwhelming.

Instead, I recommend going and visiting companies, clutching your leaflet and a business card and actually meeting the person who would be responsible for sending you work. This has worked extremely well for me - if you don't want to make cold calls you can ring and book a time with the re
... See more
I don't really have a tip about what to do if you post it - I have tried this and it has paid off in terms of paying for postage/income generated, but the responses are not generally overwhelming.

Instead, I recommend going and visiting companies, clutching your leaflet and a business card and actually meeting the person who would be responsible for sending you work. This has worked extremely well for me - if you don't want to make cold calls you can ring and book a time with the relevant person. You're much more likely to be remembered afterwards - and I've found that it has also resulted in me establishing a good business network. Once someone has personal contact with you they're much more likely to recommend you to someone else who could need your services.

Good luck!
Collapse

Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You could try contacting them through their websites/e-mail Sep 2, 2005

This was how I landed a regular job translating a monthly regional newspaper. I attached a sample translation of an article taken from the newspaper and the editor liked it so much he offered me the job. You could always scan your brochure and send it as an attachment. Costs less than postage, if nothing else...

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Don’t! Sep 3, 2005

It’s a waste of money and efforts!

Target your efforts:

- Identify by phone the person with ink in the pen.

- Make an appointment.

- Make a personal visit.

- Make the sale.

(Companies don’t make business, people do!)

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Sep 5, 2005

Thanks for all your ideas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unsolicited advertising - is this a common marketing technique among translators?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »