https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/36555-finding_first_prozcom_job.html

Finding First Proz.com job
Thread poster: Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Yaron Dahan
Local time: 13:09
French to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2005

Hello All,
I just signed on to Proz, and was looking for some tips on getting that first online contract. I've done a dgood amount of translation before, but all of it was freelance, mostly through personal or professiionnal connection (which I no longer have now that I've just moved to New York. I'm pretty much bilingual, but who do I approachand how... Any help??

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:09
English to Italian
+ ...
welcome! Sep 8, 2005

Hello Yaron, welcome to Proz.com!

A few tips:
- browse the Article Knowledgebase
- fill in your profile with as much information as you can
- be active in kudoz (see kudoz faq)
- read forums
- consider becoming a Platinum member (it is not a must, but it's definitely a plus)
- quote for jobs
- check the blueboard
- send your CVs
and.....wait...patiently... that's what I did, it took a few months, some trial and error, but thing
... See more
Hello Yaron, welcome to Proz.com!

A few tips:
- browse the Article Knowledgebase
- fill in your profile with as much information as you can
- be active in kudoz (see kudoz faq)
- read forums
- consider becoming a Platinum member (it is not a must, but it's definitely a plus)
- quote for jobs
- check the blueboard
- send your CVs
and.....wait...patiently... that's what I did, it took a few months, some trial and error, but things are moving quite well now.
Best of luck, Daniela

---

p.s. I almost forgot, visit the powwow page for any upcoming events in your area, don't miss the opportunity to meet your new colleagues!

[Edited at 2005-09-08 23:22]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 03:09
English to French
+ ...
Welcome Yaron! Sep 8, 2005

Hi Yaron,

I have only one word for you: specialization.
Put yourself in the shoes of an outsourcer: why would he choose you -or me for that matter- over other bidders? Well, you have to offer something special, preferably something they're looking for, sometimes unbeknownst to them.

Good luck and enjoy the site!

Sarah

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:09
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ, spellcheck, specialize, go platinum Sep 9, 2005

Hello Yaron,

After a quick look at your profile, I recommend that you:

1. Participate in KudoZ at least long enough to earn four (4) points. Decide whether or not you want to continue with KudoZ after you get the points.
2. Be more careful with your spelling. There is a mistake in your profile, and that may be enough to prevent you from ever meeting a client, given that you translate into English.
3. Speciali
... See more
Hello Yaron,

After a quick look at your profile, I recommend that you:

1. Participate in KudoZ at least long enough to earn four (4) points. Decide whether or not you want to continue with KudoZ after you get the points.
2. Be more careful with your spelling. There is a mistake in your profile, and that may be enough to prevent you from ever meeting a client, given that you translate into English.
3. Specialize. See my article on the topic of specializing to win jobs online.
4. Go platinum. Platinum members meet new clients four times as often as do non-platinums.

We're in Syracuse, welcome to the area! Hope to meet you at a powwow one day.
Collapse

@caduceus (X)
@caduceus (X)
United States
Local time: 04:09
English to German
+ ...
be proactive Sep 9, 2005

I agree with Henry on participating in the KudoZ term help. Not only will you broaden your own horizon by doing so, some outsourcers will find you through the KudoZ Leaders index if you happen to make it to, well let's say the top five, or at least they will take a look at your answers to see what you’re made of.

Regarding a platinum membership, I have to say that I was a bit hesitant at first, but soon after I decided to go platinum, I could see the benefits, such as being able t
... See more
I agree with Henry on participating in the KudoZ term help. Not only will you broaden your own horizon by doing so, some outsourcers will find you through the KudoZ Leaders index if you happen to make it to, well let's say the top five, or at least they will take a look at your answers to see what you’re made of.

Regarding a platinum membership, I have to say that I was a bit hesitant at first, but soon after I decided to go platinum, I could see the benefits, such as being able to access the Blue Board, which has saved me from taking a large job from at least one non-paying agency and giving me some sort of peace of mind when an agency seems to have a great reputation, as well as receiving job postings restricted to platinum members and submitting quotes. One very important benefit is that outsourcers often use the search feature and if you don't appear on the first page, chances are they will never find you, no matter how good you are.

Finally, be proactive! Be one of the first submitting a quote for jobs you are qualified for. Even if you don't get that particular job, the same outsourcers may contact you directly for some other job. Don't wait and sit around hoping for people to find you. Find them first!

Good luck getting started!

[Edited at 2005-11-10 21:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding First Proz.com job

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »