which translation software for a new translator?
Thread poster: Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
Local time: 09:04
English to French
+ ...
Sep 28, 2005

Hello!

I'm a new translator and I know that most translation agencies use translators who have translation softwares. I don't wish to invest a great amount of money at the moment since I do not know for sure whether I'm going to be successful in the translation business yet. What would be your advice? Should I begin with the free version of Wordfast?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and advice.

Mikaële

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
SDLX 2005 30 day evaluation Sep 28, 2005

Hello Mikaele,

Considering your situation you mentioned above, I suggest that you can try the SDLX 2005 evaluation copy for 30 day for free.

It's fully functional, and if you find it useful, you can consider buying a copy.

SDLX 2005 is available at

... See more
Hello Mikaele,

Considering your situation you mentioned above, I suggest that you can try the SDLX 2005 evaluation copy for 30 day for free.

It's fully functional, and if you find it useful, you can consider buying a copy.

SDLX 2005 is available at

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products-freelancers/sdlx/products-downloads-sdlx.htm
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:04
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...

Hi Mikaele,

This subject has been covered numerous times and in numerous forums, which you probably do not know as at the moment you are new here. Search forums on this subject, go through all the Getting established forums and check out others and you will find a lot of very useful information on this and other relevant subjects. We all have started there.

Best of luck,
Burrell

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
evaluation versions Sep 28, 2005

Before buying any software, you may download and try some fully functional CAT tools, e.g. Deja Vu and SDLX. You may also use light versions of these programs. The translation company prepares the files, and you only translate as usual (in a different environment for sure).

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

for Deja Vu you may look at http://www.atril.com

... See more
Before buying any software, you may download and try some fully functional CAT tools, e.g. Deja Vu and SDLX. You may also use light versions of these programs. The translation company prepares the files, and you only translate as usual (in a different environment for sure).

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

for Deja Vu you may look at http://www.atril.com

[Edited at 2005-09-28 15:51]
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 10:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Wordfast Sep 28, 2005

Try Wordfast (www.wordfast.net). You have unlimited in time shareware full feature version. Its only limit is the volume of the translation memory which is enought for about 25 pages approx.

Best regards,
Misho

Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 28, 2005

I wish to thank you all for your advice. I'm going to look at the different forums and I will check out the different webpages on the different translation softwares that you mentionned and download the free versions before making my choice.

Regards,

Mikaële

Catherine Reay
Catherine Reay  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
MetaTexis Sep 28, 2005

Hello,

I can recommend MetaTexis which has three different versions (and a free trial version which you can use to compare with the suggestions made by other prozians).

Details can be found on www.metatexis.com

I have this software, it is compatible with Trados which a lot of agencies use, and if you buy the Net/Office version you can use it to translate PowerPoint and Exce
... See more
Hello,

I can recommend MetaTexis which has three different versions (and a free trial version which you can use to compare with the suggestions made by other prozians).

Details can be found on www.metatexis.com

I have this software, it is compatible with Trados which a lot of agencies use, and if you buy the Net/Office version you can use it to translate PowerPoint and Excel files.

I do not know other CAT tools so cannot offer a comparison, but it is very good value for money and easy to use.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Hermann Bruns (MetaTexis developer) who was incredibly helpful and patient this weekend when I had a silly problem. Thanks Hermann, I won't bother you on a Saturday again - promise!!

Good luck!
Katy
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree - try Wordfast! Sep 29, 2005

[quote]misho wrote:

Try Wordfast (www.wordfast.net). You have unlimited in time shareware full feature version. Its only limit is the volume of the translation memory which is enought for about 25 pages approx.

I started with Trados and I found it too complicated and expensive. Wordfast has almost all functions of Trados (and for sure it has all those you need as a freelancer), its cheeper and very well arranged. To me it is like OpenOffice compared to MS Word (ntohing against it, I still work with the Word))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which translation software for a new translator?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »