minimum rate per source word for new freelancers working with 'common' languages
Thread poster: Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
Local time: 10:28
English to French
+ ...
Oct 1, 2005

Hello,

As a new freelance translator working with languages which are highly in demand, I would have liked to know how much experienced translators like you charged per source word when you started as freelancers. I know the rate per source word depends on the difficulty of the text and the subject matter but I would be much obliged if I could have your opinion on this matter for a text presenting no particular difficulty.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.... See more
Hello,

As a new freelance translator working with languages which are highly in demand, I would have liked to know how much experienced translators like you charged per source word when you started as freelancers. I know the rate per source word depends on the difficulty of the text and the subject matter but I would be much obliged if I could have your opinion on this matter for a text presenting no particular difficulty.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Regards,

Mikaële
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Researching the market Oct 2, 2005

When I was starting out and didn't have an idea of rates, I contacted several translation agencies and asked them for their rates. I used the information as a guideline for setting my rates. Generally the rates a freelancer charges direct clients would fall in between the rates an agency pays a freelancer and the price an end client pays an agency.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
German to English
Don't set rate too low Oct 2, 2005

Although I'm not in a position to tell you what the going rate for your language pair might be, my personal experience has shown that an initial rate with a client tends to become a more or less permanent rate. I've raised my rates over the years by taking better-paying clients and turning down jobs from lower-paying ones. Again, this is my experience, and other people may have had better luck increasing their rates with individual clients.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You can make a Schedule of Fees Oct 2, 2005

Once you have decided how much to charge, it is a good idea to make a Schedule of Fees (dating it with the year), and send all the clients a copy for the following year each December. That way, they do not expect to keep on paying the same rate year after year.

Astrid

johnduke
johnduke
German to English
Schedule of fees - what do you include? Oct 3, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Once you have decided how much to charge, it is a good idea to make a Schedule of Fees (dating it with the year), and send all the clients a copy for the following year each December. That way, they do not expect to keep on paying the same rate year after year.

Astrid

Hi Astrid

That's a really good idea with a schedule of fees!

What would you include in such a schedule of fees? Do you differentiate between faxes, PP files, etc., or on some other basis?

Thanks,
John

Mikaele (X)
Mikaele (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 3, 2005

A very warm thank you to all of you for your VERY interesting advice. I'll take all your comments into consideration.

Regards,

Mikaële

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Minimum rates Oct 3, 2005

mikaele wrote:

The minimum charge is usually what agencies offer you. I put my rates up after 2 years from 0.04euros/source word and my work offers fell dramatically. There are agencies who will pay a living rate, but the majority in Spain and the ones I have seen on proz.com will go to the lowest bidder. You have to have nerve and professionalism to stand by your principles.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Regards,

Mikaële

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

minimum rate per source word for new freelancers working with 'common' languages

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »