Some information Oct 10, 2005

Information on file.;-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
+ ...
What kind of clients? Oct 11, 2005

Hello "krtko",

What kind of clients are you looking for? Translating agencies or end-clients? And what kind of translations can you offer?

Your profile doesn't contain very much information, so if a potential client would find his way to your profile, he wouldn't have the slightest idea about you.

Collecting KudoZ is another way of increasing your visibility here on ProZ, or getting active in different discussion fora.

Good luck!

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
ProZ profile

xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
French to English
+ ...
A good CV is the starting point Oct 11, 2005

I would spend plenty of time developing a good profile/CV, it is the shop window to your skills and experience. Also, although all the jobs I've had so far were through direct contact, I would recommend that you reply to as many job postings as possible but always ensure that you meet the requirements for the job. Do the translation tests, even if you don't get a job straight away, it's good practise and you get some feed-back from the agencies. That's why I never see tests as a waste of time. Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-10-11 08:14]

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Test good IF you get feedback Oct 11, 2005

Nathalie Vu-Van-Toan wrote:
Do the translation tests, even if you don't get a job straight away, it's good practise and you get some feed-back from the agencies.

[Edited at 2005-10-11 08:14]

IF you get feedback a test could be worthful. But I never got one and as I understood most of my colleagues here either.
But if you work for agencies with quality assurance some of them give you feedback. And I rather advise to find them instead of wasting the time with test translations.

Tomek --
Local time: 05:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Simple ways to get contacts Oct 11, 2005

First I suggest you should try to contact as many translation agencies as possible through internet, sending them your offer. There's a chance some of them will send you trial tests. You will have an opportunity to practise and be placed in their databases. Another important step would be advertising yourself wherever you can so that end-clients could find you easily.
That's how it begins...

Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can also benefit from previous forum threads Oct 11, 2005

Hello "krtko",

Besides the valuable suggestions above, I would advise you to read all the relevant forum threads, if you haven't done so yet. The amount of useful information in Proz forums is simply unbelievable!

Here are some threads which are relevant to your question:

New to the site - should I quote on jobs or wait for the employers to come to me?

How to find direct clients?

How to find new jobs/customers?

How did YOU get started?

Platinum membership - did you obtain more work?

How to get started in freelance?

Getting noticed by agencies

Starting as a freelancer ... need some help

Need advice: Trying to break into the business of freelance translation

Road to becoming a translator (First step)?

How to get direct clients?

What makes a client or an agency pick you generally? Is there an ideal translator?

I chose only a few of the threads in the present category: "Getting established" but you can benefit from forum threads in other categories too.

And I think there are many useful articles in the "Article Knowledgebase" under the "Business of Translation and Interpreting" section.

Wish you luck and patience,

[Edited at 2005-10-11 14:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to attract clients

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs