Thread poster: nordiste
nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:58
English to French
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

I wonder how to introduce myself on my website.
I am just a freelance person, not a group or a company.

I had a look at some pro websites, and it seems that – in English anyway – the main person speaks of themselves in the third person “John Translator was educated ... bla bla bla …. His main areas of expertise include bla bla ..“ .

It seems fine on a company/ a team site, where every staff member is introduced. But for an independent tranlator, what
... See more
I wonder how to introduce myself on my website.
I am just a freelance person, not a group or a company.

I had a look at some pro websites, and it seems that – in English anyway – the main person speaks of themselves in the third person “John Translator was educated ... bla bla bla …. His main areas of expertise include bla bla ..“ .

It seems fine on a company/ a team site, where every staff member is introduced. But for an independent tranlator, what do you think? Isn’t it better and more friendly to use the first person “I was educated ….. My main area of expertise include …etc… ”

I don’t feel very comfortable with the “she” choice: too pompous? But on the other hand, does the “I” choice give the right professionnal image?

[Edited at 2005-10-18 19:46]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Depends on what you want to convey! Oct 17, 2005

What I mean is this:

Someone introducing him/her/themselves as 'they' or 'we' appear to be a larger organisation, and to some this may appear somewhat reassuring (in some countries, including Denmark).

On the other hand, some may be on the look-out for truly independent freelancers, who work solo, and therefore this approach might scare some people off.

Personally, I think I would not chose the third person singular...I would chose the third person plural o
... See more
What I mean is this:

Someone introducing him/her/themselves as 'they' or 'we' appear to be a larger organisation, and to some this may appear somewhat reassuring (in some countries, including Denmark).

On the other hand, some may be on the look-out for truly independent freelancers, who work solo, and therefore this approach might scare some people off.

Personally, I think I would not chose the third person singular...I would chose the third person plural or in the first person singular.

Still, it depends.
Are you trying to attract customers from UK, China, Mexico or Russia?

Try to pick the brains of those in the business who are natives of or living in the country you want customers from, and then create your website from this 'standard'.

Best of luck to you.
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:58
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
What about a person with a company name? Oct 18, 2005

I've been thinkin about this, too. Somehow it would be funny to talk about "we" or "she", if the "company" consists of myself only.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use I Oct 18, 2005

nordiste wrote:
I am just a freelance person, not a group or a company. ... I had a look at some pro websites, and it seems that – in English anyway – the main person speaks of themselves in the third person...

I hate the third-person method. If the introduction is written by someone else, they can use the third-person. If the intro is written by you, then use "I", because you are the one addressing the reader. Also, one of the reasons why people choose freelancers above companies is because of the personal touch.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
I agree Oct 18, 2005

Samuel Murray wrote:

Also, one of the reasons why people choose freelancers above companies is because of the personal touch.

If you wish to present yourself as a true freelancer, you should chose the first person = 'I'.

If one has a company name and wishes to promote oneself as a larger business, the form would be the third person plural: 'We', IMHO.

:0)

Jonathan Faydi
Jonathan Faydi  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to French
+ ...
Why would you like to be what you are not? Oct 21, 2005

If you are a freelance translator then you work 'alone', calling yourself 'we' is just cheating in my opinion and I am not sure it will bring you anything good...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I or he/she ? Introducing my skills on my website

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »