Thread poster: Alexandra Bobko

Alexandra Bobko  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:29
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2005

Dear all,

After getting my Master's Degree in foreign languages (English and German) from the Sorbonne Nouvelle University in Paris, I managed to reach the position of trilingual executive assistant in great companies like Siemens or Merrill Lynch but my passion is translation. I used to translate a lot of business emails in these firms, but don't have any particular experience in this field. I am French, speak German almost as a native (a lot of German people often ask me how I learned it and sometimes if I am actually German) and fluent English (but not irreproachable yet) and lived a year and a half in the UK. I enrolled for the Diploma of Translation from the IoL and will do it next January. I took a distance learning course for that at the beginning of this year, which was good but expensive for the quantity of work needed, so now I am studying by myself. My question is: if I don't get this diploma which, I must assume, is quite unlikely, what could I do to get into the translation world? Do you think that keeping working as a good level assistant could lead me to it if I always try to catch translation tasks within this job or is a qualification and/or experience a must-have?
Thanks in advance!
Alexandra from Paris

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting into the translation world as a trilingual assistant

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs