https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/39293-tips_on_finding_translation_work_in_france_as_a_non_eu.html

Tips on finding Translation work in France as a non-EU
Thread poster: Alana C
Alana C
Alana C
Local time: 09:03
French to English
Nov 21, 2005

I am a recent graduate from a Translation program. I will be spending 8 months in France next year on a work visa and I would ideally like to find work in translation rather than working in a cafe

I am hoping that those with much vaster experience than I can offer some words of advice. Are there good places to look for job opportunities? Are temporary positions difficult to find? Are companies receptive to recent g
... See more
I am a recent graduate from a Translation program. I will be spending 8 months in France next year on a work visa and I would ideally like to find work in translation rather than working in a cafe

I am hoping that those with much vaster experience than I can offer some words of advice. Are there good places to look for job opportunities? Are temporary positions difficult to find? Are companies receptive to recent graduates with limited professional experience? How is translation viewed as a profession in France? I have heard that it is not as valued or well-paid as in other countries.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Collapse

Lakshmi Iyer
Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:03
French to English
+ ...
FUSAC Nov 22, 2005

Hi Alana,

There's a fortnightly magazine called FUSAC that has a lot of job ads for native English speakers. Most of these are secretarial positions or jobs teaching English, but there's the occasional in-house translation job as well. The website is www.fusac.com if you'd like to get an idea of the kind of jobs on offer.

You might also want to send your CV to some of the French agencies o
... See more
Hi Alana,

There's a fortnightly magazine called FUSAC that has a lot of job ads for native English speakers. Most of these are secretarial positions or jobs teaching English, but there's the occasional in-house translation job as well. The website is www.fusac.com if you'd like to get an idea of the kind of jobs on offer.

You might also want to send your CV to some of the French agencies on the Blue Board.

Good luck!
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's a global market Nov 22, 2005

AlanaC wrote:

I am hoping that those with much vaster experience than I can offer some words of advice. Are there good places to look for job opportunities? Are temporary positions difficult to find? Are companies receptive to recent graduates with limited professional experience? How is translation viewed as a profession in France? I have heard that it is not as valued or well-paid as in other countries.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Hi Alana,

If you're talking freelance work (which I assume you do), it's a global market. As a representative for a translation agency it makes no difference to me if you are located in France or Canada.

This works to your advantage, because you can send your CV to agencies all over the place, don't limit yourself to France.

And from our point of view, it doesn't matter whether you're an EU citizen or not.

But maybe you're looking for a fixed position as in-house translator? Perhaps you could clarify?

/Jan

Cécile Lambert
Cécile Lambert
Italian to French
+ ...
French websites Nov 22, 2005

Hello Alana,

If you look for some temporary in-houses positions you can find some on this French websites:
See more
Hello Alana,

If you look for some temporary in-houses positions you can find some on this French websites:
www.anpe.fr
www.apec.fr
www.keljob.com
www.directemploi.com
http://www.talents.site-recrutement.com/

Best wishes,

Cécile
Collapse

Alana C
Alana C
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Need in-house position for work visa Nov 22, 2005

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi Alana,

If you're talking freelance work (which I assume you do), it's a global market. As a representative for a translation agency it makes no difference to me if you are located in France or Canada.

This works to your advantage, because you can send your CV to agencies all over the place, don't limit yourself to France.

And from our point of view, it doesn't matter whether you're an EU citizen or not.

But maybe you're looking for a fixed position as in-house translator? Perhaps you could clarify?

/Jan

Thanks Kaveri and Jan for your helpful advice! I have been looking at FUSAC online and even applied to a couple of jobs. I appreciate your comments on freelancing and I will try to follow up with companies listed on blueboard.

However, during my stay in France I require an in-house position to satisfy the visa regulations. My working-holiday visa grants me the right to look for work, but I need a letter from my employer to show I am working and will have a regular income.

[Edited at 2005-11-22 18:31]

Alana C
Alana C
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The search is on... Nov 23, 2005

Thanks Cécile, the websites are a great help! I have already found a couple of good jobs to apply for and I feel hopeful that I can work in my field

Olga Dolgikh
Olga Dolgikh
Local time: 13:03
Russian to French
Work in France for non-EU citizens Oct 17, 2006

Just read the comments above.. and thought that somebody could help me with the following:
I am a russian citizen, currently studying for a PG Diploma in Interpreting in the UK. My languages are russian, english and also I am trying to get my french up to the standard.
I want to go work in france.
Can please somebody tell me what the application procedure for a work permit in France for non-Eu citizens?

Alana C
Alana C
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Visa requirements Oct 17, 2006

Hi Olga

The visa requirements will differ depending on the country. I visited the website of the French consulate in Canada (my home country) and read the information on obtaining a work visa. Fortunately Canada and France have a work-exchange program so it was fairly easy to get the visa.

You will need to find out what type of visas are available for Russian citizens and what information is required. For example my visa required an application, fee, proof of citiz
... See more
Hi Olga

The visa requirements will differ depending on the country. I visited the website of the French consulate in Canada (my home country) and read the information on obtaining a work visa. Fortunately Canada and France have a work-exchange program so it was fairly easy to get the visa.

You will need to find out what type of visas are available for Russian citizens and what information is required. For example my visa required an application, fee, proof of citizenship and birth, a return plane ticket, and medical insurance for the duration of the visa (not just the duration of the stay!).

Alana

p.s. I was able to find a 6-month contract doing editing of translaitons for a small company. The job was posted on FUSAC. It was a fantastic experience!

[Edited at 2006-10-17 13:13]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips on finding Translation work in France as a non-EU

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »