Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:39
English to German
+ ...
Dec 8, 2005

Hi,

I have just been on holiday for two weeks (lucky me) and before I went, I emailed all the agencies I work with to notify them of my holiday. I also set my autoresponder before I left, just in case. Nevertheless, 3 of the agencies had sent me work during my absence by email as I only found out on my return. The deadlines have all passed now of course and I wondered if I should in any way react to the job offers, li
... See more
Hi,

I have just been on holiday for two weeks (lucky me) and before I went, I emailed all the agencies I work with to notify them of my holiday. I also set my autoresponder before I left, just in case. Nevertheless, 3 of the agencies had sent me work during my absence by email as I only found out on my return. The deadlines have all passed now of course and I wondered if I should in any way react to the job offers, like mailing something like "sorry but I have been away" or just simply ignore them as they might have been sent to several translators in the agency's list and they surely had found someone else to do the job.
What do you normally do in that situation?
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
Italian to English
+ ...
I'd inform them you're now back from holiday Dec 8, 2005

I wouldn't mention the work they sent you as your auto-response will have told them immediately that you weren't available. But as a matter of course, inform all your clients that you're now back.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
it happens al the time... Dec 8, 2005

you tell them you are going away, but they 'forget' and send you work. The autoresponse is a good way to keep your clients informed, but also attracts lots of spam, since the spammers can now tell that your e-mail address is actve (because they receive an answer). What to do? Not a lot. Just don't get too annoyed thinking about the work you lost....

Giovanni

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Email Dec 8, 2005

Sonja

Your auto reply would have informed them that you are away, and they would have approached another translator immediately thereafter. If/when it does happen, I usually send a courtesy email to the client, informing them that I am back and look forward to working with them on future projects.

HTH

Wenke

P.S. On these occasions, I usually don't open the attachments to check on subject matter and wordcount - otherwise I would get upset... See more
Sonja

Your auto reply would have informed them that you are away, and they would have approached another translator immediately thereafter. If/when it does happen, I usually send a courtesy email to the client, informing them that I am back and look forward to working with them on future projects.

HTH

Wenke

P.S. On these occasions, I usually don't open the attachments to check on subject matter and wordcount - otherwise I would get upset
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:39
English to German
+ ...
Give 'em a call... Dec 8, 2005

Many agencies work with data bases which automatically send out capacity enquiries rather like a shotgun emits shot.
If you've forewarned them, then you're in the clear. Give 'em a freindly telephone call, tell them that you hope they found someone else, and that you're there for them in future.
Project managers are only human, and need their little reassurances, too!
-M-

Elizabeth Lyons
Elizabeth Lyons  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
French to English
+ ...
I would email them thanking them and explaining your absence again. Dec 8, 2005

I could imagine PM's having too many people in their roster to keep track of who is/isn't available and for what reason. To me, one of the most important things you can do as your own salesperson is to bend over backward with politeness and service. I would email every one of them, express regret for having missed another chance to work with them and tell them you are ready for the next project from them.

Every contact is a sales call. Every excuse to contact is an opportunity to
... See more
I could imagine PM's having too many people in their roster to keep track of who is/isn't available and for what reason. To me, one of the most important things you can do as your own salesperson is to bend over backward with politeness and service. I would email every one of them, express regret for having missed another chance to work with them and tell them you are ready for the next project from them.

Every contact is a sales call. Every excuse to contact is an opportunity to remind them of your existence and get more work. This is a legitimate excuse for contact, I would make the most of it.

[Edited at 2005-12-08 23:54]
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
yep! Dec 9, 2005

Elizabeth Lyons wrote:
Every contact is a sales call. Every excuse to contact is an opportunity to remind them of your existence and get more work. This is a legitimate excuse for contact, I would make the most of it.

[Edited at 2005-12-08 23:54]

I fully agree, hard to add anything to this really

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to react when work came in while you were on holiday

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »