Diploma in Translation
Thread poster: picko924
picko924
Local time: 23:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2005

Dear All,

I have my Diploma in Translation (Spanish-English) exams coming up in about a month's time and I was wondering if anyone had any useful suggestions, hints and tips about how to prepare for this.

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
At which college? Dec 12, 2005

Maria D'Silva wrote:
I have my Diploma in Translation (Spanish-English) exams coming up in about a month's time and I was wondering if anyone had any useful suggestions, hints and tips about how to prepare for this.

At which college do you have this diploma? What does the exam entail? Can you tell us a bit more about the curriculum of your course?

I don't think there is much you can do except that which you would have done for any other type of course. The usual study tips apply.

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:00
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You should look out for books and topics already published in various publications. Dec 12, 2005

Dear Friend,
You should look out for the books of translation subject referred by your curriculum/syllabus. The thorough study of the books will do the sufficient work for you. As far I'm concerned, I studied with the books written in Hindi and English both in the year 2001.
Best of Luck to you anyway!
PRAKASH SHARMA

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do you mean the IOL? Dec 12, 2005

If so, apart from practising with old exam papers, the examiner's reports are very useful. They point out, in some detail, why past candidates didn't make the grade and you can get an idea of pass rates for the various papers, etc.

You can purchase the Spanish to English report for the January 2005 exam and old exam papers via the following link:

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/publications.asp

The examiner's report is unfortunately not available online, it seems (unlike the reports for the less popular languages). The latter are probably less detailed due to fewer candidates.

Good luck
Debs

[Edited at 2005-12-12 13:16]

picko924
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Dec 12, 2005

Many thanks for your comments so far. Just to clarify, I will be taking the IoL Diploma in translation and I began preparing for it at evening classes at City University London but I found the pace a bit slow so I decided to prepare for it myself at home with past papers etc.

LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Have you read the Dip.Trans. Handbook thoroughly? Dec 12, 2005

I think it is very important to be well acquainted with the marking criteria. For instance, one single decoding mistake usually costs candidates the exam (see the criteria on page 13 onwards of the handbook). Also, read about translators' notes (not annotations, which are not part of the exam anymore - but one or two notes MAY be allowed), translating names of associations and institutions, bible quotations etc.

Basically go through all the material in this page.
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

If you know someone else who is taking the exam, you could maybe prepare it together by meeting and comparing translations prepared in advance.

One last thing: I suggest you bring Tippex and try and write in the neatest possible way. Do not waste time in re-writing a clean translation. It's better to concentrate on revising syntax and improving vocabulary using a synonyms dictionary. If you encounter a difficult passage which you are trying to reorganize in all possible ways, do this on a separate sheet of paper.
Also, try to translate some past papers in exam conditions, i.e. by timing yourself and using only paper dictionaries, not the Internet. The translation has to be perfect, so time is never enough.

Good luck
Lucia

Evangelia Tantalidou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:30
English to Greek
Work fast and manage time Dec 12, 2005

Dear Maria, I have taken the DipTrans exam (ENG>GRK) last year and the most important thing is time management. You have to work pretty quickly and manage your time in order to go back and look at specific points you found hard to render, plus a little time to go through your texts again. I think that is the hardest part of the exam, because especially at the last part you are really exhausted after taking the exam all day long and you have to be organised in order to come through.
Best of luck to you!

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:30
Member (2006)
English to German
Practise writing by hand Dec 14, 2005

This may sound funny, but I think it is important. When I sat the exam last January, writing by hand was really a problem for me, since I do most writing at the computer.
I did all three papers at one day, and during the last paper, after six hours of writing, I had cramps in my hand and my arm and every few minutes the pen just fell out of my hand.

Good luck !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Diploma in Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs