Thread poster: Alessandra Sticotti (X)
Alessandra Sticotti (X)
Alessandra Sticotti (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 30, 2005

Hi all!
i'm a new proz.com member. I'm a conference interpreter based in Trieste (Italy) with little experience
i was thinking about developing my own website to boost my career. have you got any suggestions?
first I need a web hosting etc.. tips?

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:31
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Personal website Jan 1, 2006

Hi ASticotti,

Happy New Year and welcome to ProZ - I hope you enjoy your stay.

I personally think that it is a good idea to have a website for your business: Every day more and more people are turning to the Internet to find the services that they need.

A low-cost method is right here at your fingertips, i.e. your ProZ profile. I just took a look at your profile and it looks good to me - that is definitely a good start (IMHO).

I have found that
... See more
Hi ASticotti,

Happy New Year and welcome to ProZ - I hope you enjoy your stay.

I personally think that it is a good idea to have a website for your business: Every day more and more people are turning to the Internet to find the services that they need.

A low-cost method is right here at your fingertips, i.e. your ProZ profile. I just took a look at your profile and it looks good to me - that is definitely a good start (IMHO).

I have found that if you participate in KudoZ and the forums here, quite a few people do land on your profile (I've had approx. 630 visits from 250 visitors to my profile in the last 30 days). When I take a look at who has visited, I notice that some of the visitors are outsourcers. I have also been contacted numerous times this last year (2005) by persons who "noticed me at ProZ" and were interested in collaborating with me.

The advantage of your profile is that the more that you participate, the higher your ranking becomes on Google.

I, myself, also have an "external" website (http://www.legalese.de ), for which I use the hosting that ProZ provides. As of yet, I am completely satisfied with the services that ProZ provide in this regard - they even went to the trouble of getting me a ".de" site (which is not as easy as you may think).

As far as I know, ProZ also has free hosting, which is available together with platinum membership. I used that until I decided to go with the advanced package.

As far as designing your website is concerned, it is a matter of taste and thus, I can't say so much about it (I'm not so sure of the effectiveness of my own design). There have been some interesting posts relating to this subject here in the forums, so you may want to spend some time with the search function. Occasionally, I am contacted by (extremely nice) colleagues, who have taken a look at my profile and/or website and who offer valuable advice and notice mistakes and the like.

All in all, I do think that it helps to have a website - it is your business card. Good luck and have fun designing!

Best regards,
Derek
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

personal website

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »