Thread poster: Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
French to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2006

Hi all!

Not sure if this is the right forum or not (as I'm already established!!), but I was wondering if anyone knew what the rules and regulations for exemption from the Spanish Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores sworn translator exam?

I have a degree in Interpreting and Translating from a UK University but I'm not sure if that's enough - if anyone has any thoughts or information I'd really appreciate it.

Direct link Reply with quote
Ana Fernandez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ministery's website Jan 4, 2006

Hi Paul,

you can look for some information in this website:érpretes%20Jurados.htm

Good luck!

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good luck (you will need it) Jan 5, 2006

The following is some of the interesting information I discovered when I took the test a couple of years ago:

About 850 people showed up to take the test. 18 people were given passing grades on the written part, allowing them to then take the oral part. I do not know how many of these 18 finally got named "Traductor Jurado".

If you think you did a great job on the exam and should have been given a passing grade, there is absolutely no way to protest (although I encourage you to prove I'm wrong). You are not shown how your exam was marked, nor are you given any grade nor any type of feedback (except for pass/fail evaluation).

Oh, and you hare not told in any substantial way HOW the exam will be graded. No examples are provided on what an acceptable translation looks like and the correctors are anonymous.

Don't forget to continually check the BOE from about February to May for when they announce the exam date. You will then have a window of about 3 weeks, more or less, to fill out the required forms, photocopy required documents, and then send them in along with whatever amount of money they are asking for this year. Make sure you do all this properly.

If I can be of any more assistance on how to undergo the exam process in order to become a "Traductor Jurado" in the land that inspired Don Quijote, let me know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpretes Jurados in Spain

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs