Looking for top T&I MA programs in the States, pls HELP
Thread poster: LukaszPL
LukaszPL
LukaszPL  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:04
Jan 6, 2006

Hello everyone, I'm graduating this September from MSC State University in Poland, and I strongly consider continuing my education in the States. Can anyone pls share their knowledge about TOP T&I MA programs in the States? I was thinking about Monterey Institute, but after giving it a second thought...not so sure anymore...
I need to be able to study Russian there (EN-RU T&I).

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I don't want to discourage you, but Jan 6, 2006

do you know how expensive it is to attend a university in the US?
The Monterey Language Institute has an excellent reputation, but you have to pay through the nose! I don't remember the exact price, but I was floored when I read it: If I recall correctly, about $30,000 a year, but I could be remembering wrong. But it's expensive any way you look at it.

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Under our current
... See more
The Monterey Language Institute has an excellent reputation, but you have to pay through the nose! I don't remember the exact price, but I was floored when I read it: If I recall correctly, about $30,000 a year, but I could be remembering wrong. But it's expensive any way you look at it.

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Under our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding.

If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

Of course if you're rich, it's not a problem.

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:35]
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Very expensive and probably not value for money Jan 6, 2006

Absolutely.
My son was wanting to apply for an American uni and we were staggered at how much it costs (we are by no means poor but this was outrageous).
My brother is a US resident and he was totally negative about it too, saying that the quality of education offered did not justify the cost, and that a good European uni was the best bet.
So you have a specific reason for wishing to study Russian in America????
Angela

Woodstock wrote:

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Thanks to our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding. ...... If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

[Edited at 2006-01-06 18:58]

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:03]

LukaszPL
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for your comments Jan 6, 2006

Yes, I am aware of the costs, it's around $37,000 a year, but I'm looking forward to take a loan if it's necessary. The reason I want to study Russian in the USA, is that I want to practice both languages. My English is much better than my Russian (Polish being my native language), plus I studied in the States already, so I know the environment etc...
But let's say I eventually end up in Europe. In this case, what would you recommend? Any decent schools? I was thinking about Westinster, b
... See more
Yes, I am aware of the costs, it's around $37,000 a year, but I'm looking forward to take a loan if it's necessary. The reason I want to study Russian in the USA, is that I want to practice both languages. My English is much better than my Russian (Polish being my native language), plus I studied in the States already, so I know the environment etc...
But let's say I eventually end up in Europe. In this case, what would you recommend? Any decent schools? I was thinking about Westinster, but they are also expensive. Maybe the Netherlands?

Angela Arnone wrote:

Absolutely.
My son was wanting to apply for an American uni and we were staggered at how much it costs (we are by no means poor but this was outrageous).
My brother is a US resident and he was totally negative about it too, saying that the quality of education offered did not justify the cost, and that a good European uni was the best bet.
So you have a specific reason for wishing to study Russian in America????
Angela

Woodstock wrote:

Then there is the matter of living, too. As a student you are very limited in your legal employment options. Thanks to our current administration, services in all areas of life have deteriorated, and gotten more expensive because of less government funding. ...... If you really want to study in the US, then try for a scholarship, or look at an English-speaking country where the education is not so prohibitively expensive.

[Edited at 2006-01-06 18:58]

[Edited at 2006-01-06 19:03]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not only the school Jan 8, 2006

Yes, MIIS is expensive, and so is the cost of housing in that area. I know, I spend part of my time there, but I don't have to pay rent. If I did I could not afford it.

But if you can come up with the money, it is nice.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:04
English to French
+ ...
MIIS Jan 8, 2006

Well, as a graduate I can tell you it's worth every penny, at least for French-English.

However, it is NOT a language school. They teach translation and interpretation techniques, not the language. You have to demonstrate high-level proficiency in all your working languages as part of the admission process.

It is expensive, I agree, but no more than other graduate programs in top schools. Have you researched scholarships, grants and the like?

LukaszPL
Poland
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx:) Jan 9, 2006

sarahl wrote:

Well, as a graduate I can tell you it's worth every penny, at least for French-English.

However, it is NOT a language school. They teach translation and interpretation techniques, not the language. You have to demonstrate high-level proficiency in all your working languages as part of the admission process.

It is expensive, I agree, but no more than other graduate programs in top schools. Have you researched scholarships, grants and the like?

yup, I did some research on grants, scholarships and loans, and if I get a loan plus a scholarship( this one I'm more confident about) I think I'll be fine. I know that the loan needs to be paid back, but I really have a strong desire to study what I love, and this is T&I

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for top T&I MA programs in the States, pls HELP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »