Mobile menu

Has anyone studied at ETI in Geneva?
Thread poster: severn
United States
Local time: 08:58
German to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2006

I was wondering if anyone has studied at the École de Traduction et Interpretation at the University of Geneva in Switzerland. I've been searching through the forums here but couldn't find much info. If anyone has studied there or knows anything about the school, could you tell me a bit about your experiences and your opinion of the program?

I have a BA in linguistics from a Canadian university and some experience with translation, but I really feel I need more education.

Direct link Reply with quote
Christine Schmit  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
5 years at ETI Jan 9, 2006

Hi severn,

I got my degree from ETI, still the "licence" at that time, in 2004 and also did the "DESS en terminologie" (postgraduate diploma in terminology). I would definitely recommand it, it was a great experience for me, I learned a lot and they have some excellent teachers. I can't really tell you much about the program because they changed it from this year on to Bachelor and Master programs and I still graduated under the old system, but I don't think they changed that much in the courses themselves. Are you planning to take the MA in translation?
If you need more specific information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards and good luck,

United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
English to Italian
+ ...
ETI Jan 9, 2006

I was there many, many years ago, and things have changed a lot. I had a look at the webpage and don't recognise any names for the English department. The structure is also completely new.

I can only say that there seems to be more theory, in line with today's requirements, while in my old days the school had a truly practical approach. Nonetheless very few teachers were actually active translators, so when we graduated we didn't know much about the market, the rates, how to write a CV, where to look for a job. But I believe that this is common in translators' schools.

All in all it has been a great experience. I was there seven years and loved every minute of it.
Geneva is a French-speaking city, so your French has to be strong (the general lectures and related papers at the ETI were in French), but it is also very cosmopolitan. You can speak French-English-German-Italian (and more) and switch among languages every day. That is something I have been missing ever since.

I think it is a very good school but it is the only one I know

Good luck

[Edited at 2006-01-09 13:21]

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:58
English to German
+ ...
Have you considered the ZHW? Jan 9, 2006

The ETI is very good, but if your first foreign language is German, you might also consider the Zurich University of Applied Sciences, which is where I studied. Their translators' and interpreters' study programs are excellent and very practice-oriented. At least I myself came out well prepared for the real-ife problems of a translator. If you'd like to have a look, here's their URL:

United States
Local time: 08:58
German to English
+ ...
Thank you! Jan 10, 2006

Thanks to all of you for replying!

Yes, I am interested in the MA in Translation. One thing I find very attractive is that one can specialize in, say, law or thing I've learned from is that it seems like you really need to be able to specialize in something besides languages, and unfortunately all of my knowledge is of the linguistic variety.
Thank you very much for your offer to provide more info--I will take you up on it!

Thanks also for your reply. Geneva's location was attractive to me as well because the idea of being able to switch languages several times throughout the day sounds like heaven! My main foreign language is indeed German, and the one thing I'm nervous about is whether my French is adequate. I will be ok in terms of living there and attending classes, but I'm not sure about translation. I would really like to to be able to translate from more than one foreign language, however!

I am currently working at a translation agency so I know a fair bit about the business side. It's the theory and the language skills that I need to improve.

Did they always have an entrance examination for the program? If so, could you tell me what that was like?

I didn't know about the university in Zurich--thanks for the tip! I will definitely take a look at their website, because you're right, German is my main language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone studied at ETI in Geneva?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs