Thread poster: Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2006

Hello everybody!
After other work experiences I decided to go back to one of the professions I really am interested in. I want to be a professional translator and interpreter. I am looking for clients as I would like to start on my own rather than being an employee in a translation agency. I found it quite difficult to enter those realities in the past so I did other jobs. I am asking for you advice particularly on how to contact clients and making a good impression, how to structure a c.
... See more
Hello everybody!
After other work experiences I decided to go back to one of the professions I really am interested in. I want to be a professional translator and interpreter. I am looking for clients as I would like to start on my own rather than being an employee in a translation agency. I found it quite difficult to enter those realities in the past so I did other jobs. I am asking for you advice particularly on how to contact clients and making a good impression, how to structure a c.v. in order to make my experience evident and also my skills in German and English.
Thank you in advance to anyone who will help me.
Collapse

Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:46
English to Spanish
Check out the Article Knowledgebase Jan 29, 2006

In particular, check out the articles on finding direct clients. I also recommend joining a translators' organization within your country/region.

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:46
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Translators Associations Jan 29, 2006

Jo-Hanna is correct. People who know nothing about translator websites will check the local national association. Best advertising there is.

Stephen Rifkind
Hebrew/Russian/French to English

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
German to English
Fill out your profile Jan 29, 2006

Proz is of course one way of contacting clients (or having them contact you) - so you could start by filling out your profile (and think about adding your real name and a photograph), bidding for Proz jobs, answering Kudoz questions so that people become aware that you are out there ... you may find you build up sufficient work that way and never need to start mailing your CV to agencies.

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Forums Jan 30, 2006

Ciao. Some ideas:

1) Read the forums
2) Fill in your profile
3) Do not propose translations into a language that is not your mother tongue (my obsession)
4) Answer kudoz
5) Specialize
6) Read
7) Analyze bilingual documents (eg. on the EU site)
8) Be patient

I know, they're not ten...
Have a nice day
Paola

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all!!! Feb 23, 2006

I'm working...

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Grande Rita! Feb 23, 2006

Rita Bilancio wrote:

I'm working...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to start working seriously as a translator and interpreter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »