Thread poster: Yvette Neisser Moreno
Yvette Neisser Moreno
Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2006

In a recent thread regarding recommended translation degrees or certifications, a couple of people mentioned something called "IoL." Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please tell me what this is? I, like some others trying to get started as a translator, do not have any official certification and am interested in looking into it.

Thanks,
Yvette

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Institute of Linguists and American Translators Association Feb 3, 2006

http://www.iol.org.uk/

http://www.atanet.org/

Yvette Neisser Moreno
Yvette Neisser Moreno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thanks! Feb 3, 2006

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Yvette:-) Feb 3, 2006

Yvette Neisser Moreno wrote:

In a recent thread regarding recommended translation degrees or certifications, a couple of people mentioned something called "IoL." Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please tell me what this is? I, like some others trying to get started as a translator, do not have any official certification and am interested in looking into it.

Thanks,
Yvette

Best of luck as a translator:-) As a first step, being able to research using the WWW is a key skill, so when you come across something you don't know, use the WWW to help you. For example, you saw how the IOL came up in a translation context, so

Go to GOOGLE

Enter key words

And this is what you get - the answer to your doubt - just a sample here:-)

IoL - Examinations - Diploma in Translation
Not every translation will require translator’s notes. Translator’s notes may appear at the ... Central Registration Department email: [email protected] ...
www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp - 42k - 1 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Institute of Linguists
Latest version of proposed EU translation standards available to IoL members. » Met Test Training and Professional Interpreting Courses ...
www.iol.org.uk/ - 30k - 1 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.iol.org.uk ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is IoL?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »