Thread poster: Anna F.
Anna F.
Anna F.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 14, 2006

Hi,

I am considering becoming a full time freelance translator but haven't decided yet so I was thinking of applying for a few jobs and see what happens and, if everything goes well, fully dedicate myself to translating.

Now...how does it work in terms of taxes if I do some freelancing while being employed full time? Is there any difference if I do freelance translations only when in between jobs?

Also, I would like to write more effective covering letters
... See more
Hi,

I am considering becoming a full time freelance translator but haven't decided yet so I was thinking of applying for a few jobs and see what happens and, if everything goes well, fully dedicate myself to translating.

Now...how does it work in terms of taxes if I do some freelancing while being employed full time? Is there any difference if I do freelance translations only when in between jobs?

Also, I would like to write more effective covering letters so can anyone give me some tips? For example, what to write when one completely changes career and goes from IT to translating?

Hope I didn't ask too obvious questions.

Thanks all
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
PAYE and self-employed Feb 15, 2006

In UK you need to inform your tax office of the date you started or intend to start self-employment. At year end you complete a tax return declaring all your self-employed earnings and PAYE. Depending on when you submit, you either do the calculations yourself or the Revenue will do it for you. Much info on line so check that out first or talk to your accountant if you have one
Good luck
DB

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Employed and self-employed Feb 15, 2006

Even if you're employed full-time you need to tell the Inland Revenue that you're doing some freelance (self-employed) work. You have three months from the first job you do in which to inform HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) and you'll need to fill in a tax return, but not yet. It will most likely work in your favour, as you'll have to pay tax on your self-employed income, but you'll be able to claim translation-related expenses against your tax liability.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:29
Italian to English
Not an obvious question at all Feb 15, 2006

ancharmed wrote:

what to write when one completely changes career and goes from IT to translating?

Hi there and welcome to the world of translation, hope you like it here))

Don't be put off by changing career - in fact you will be able to use your IT skills in your translation work, should you choose to work in that field, and you should use this to your advantage. Analyse what areas you could work in and work on your profile - have a look around at others' profiles to get some ideas. Looking at your profile, you need to show that you value what you do, and that customers will benefit from your services. So instead of "amateur writer", why not "excellent writing skills in my mother tongue"? It may sound obvious, but not all translators write well in their native language. Is IT your hobby or something more? Your posting indicates you have a thorough knowledge of that field, so you could put put (for example) "Ten years in IT", maybe in your tagline too. Make sure your profile is complete and give more info in the subject areas you can work in. All of this info can be used in cover letters and you can direct your customers to your profile. I would raise your rates too, they seem very low. Good luck!

Anna F.
Anna F.  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2006

Thank you all for the help and suggestiones provided. Much appreciated!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A few questions

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »