Karen Rutland
Karen Rutland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
German to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2006

Hello everyone,

I've been offered some proof-reading, about 200 pages on research for maths/computers (including some diagrams). This would be my first official proof-reading job and I'm not sure how much to charge considering that a). I'm a beginner and b). this is for the Frauenhofer Institute and they will need to get funding to pay me.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much
Karen

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:38
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Anyone kind enough to help Karen? Feb 22, 2006

If so, I'd be obliged if you wrote to her privately with this information.
TIA

Karen Rutland wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been offered some proof-reading, about 200 pages on research for maths/computers (including some diagrams). This would be my first official proof-reading job and I'm not sure how much to charge considering that a). I'm a beginner and b). this is for the Frauenhofer Institute and they will need to get funding to pay me.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much
Karen

Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
French to English
proofreading rate Feb 22, 2006

For proofreading, my own general rule is to charge a quarter of my translation rate. Proofreading tasks can vary greatly in terms of difficulty, with everything depending on the quality of the text to be proofed, so it may be worth having a look at a sample if possible to make sure you won't in fact have to more or less translate the whole thing again. But if it's a reasonably competent translation, the quarter rate should be fair, in my opinion, although others may of course have different rate... See more
For proofreading, my own general rule is to charge a quarter of my translation rate. Proofreading tasks can vary greatly in terms of difficulty, with everything depending on the quality of the text to be proofed, so it may be worth having a look at a sample if possible to make sure you won't in fact have to more or less translate the whole thing again. But if it's a reasonably competent translation, the quarter rate should be fair, in my opinion, although others may of course have different rates and systems.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proof-Reading German-English - Suggested Fee

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »