Mobile menu

Starting in the US, seek visa advice
Thread poster: Jay
United States
Local time: 04:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2002

Dear collegues,

I graduated in Translation and Interpretation not a long time ago. I am from Spain but for personal reasons I am planning to move to the US. Obviously, I am finding all kind of problems to get a visa and I was wondering if by stablishing there as a freelancer that would help in some way. Has anybody had a similar situation? I am completely lost and I would appreciate any information. Thank you all in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Isabelle Louis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:56
English to French
+ ...
Get established in the US Aug 2, 2002

Dear Cao,

I am a French translator living in the US and I guess that if this new profession could have helped to get a professional visa, I would have taken the opportunity...

But from what I know about the american immigration Laws, your status doesn\'t allow you to get a professional visa like a HB1, for this one you would have to find a sponsor who will commit to pay you a certain salary during three years and will deal with all the process of visa while you will be out, for you are not allowed to stay on the territory during this procedure.

You are mentionning personal reasons, I had personal reasons as well to come here and I have been trying several things, I investigated different ways in order to finally get this magical key which would allow me to become legal here.

As a Freelance translator willing to work in the US, you will obviously need a work permit, a social security number; and even if you keep having this activity for agencies outside of the US, you will be facing the question of your stay in this country.

But don\'t get discouraged, every story is unique. Maybe you could be sponsored as an american\'s spouse ? it is the easiest way and you could get a work permit three months after your marriage, it is all a question of patience but definitely find yourself a very good lawyer specialized in immigration.

Besides that, I assumed that your personal reasons might imply as well someone who has a visa in this country and could maybe help you to get one...

Best wishes of luck


Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting in the US, seek visa advice

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs