Mobile menu

Advices needed for a newbie freelancer
Thread poster: Estelle Chauvet

Estelle Chauvet
Local time: 05:49
English to French
Mar 20, 2006

Hi all,

I've just resigned from my job and will start prospecting for my future clients as a freelance translator very soon. I was wondering if someone could have a quick look at my cv & cover letter and give his/her thoughts and feedback, especially for the CV & cover letters written in English? This would be be very kind of you!! My CV is available in my profile and my cover letter can be sent via email.

I also need your advice on the following point: I still have to wait 2 months (legal notice period) before leaving my company and, in the meantime, I will prospect agencies to have a chance to start working ASAP when I will be a freelancer. Would you indicate to the agencies that I won't be available during those 2 months in my place and run the risk that they put my CV aside and in the end forget me? Or just let them know if by chance they contact me for a job?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2006-03-20 21:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:49
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Don't tell Mar 20, 2006

Hi and welcome!

I'm rather a newbie too, I started working at the side of my studies less than a year ago. Now I already work almost full-time.

To your second question: I would not tell them. If you're offered a job, you can decline it and say that you are too busy at the moment (just as you would do if you had other projects). If it's a small job, you could take it and do it in your free time (if you want practice).

Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
Member (2005)
English to German
I would also advise not to tell them Mar 21, 2006

I also left my full time job last year to become freelance. When I started to apply with agencies it mostly took them about 2 months anyway to come back to me. So, in rare cases, they will engage you straight after you have sent them your CV. Furthermore, when agencies don't know you yet they won't give you the big job right at the first time. They usually "try you out" by giving you a small proof reading job or a translation of about 1 to 2 pages which you should be able to do after you have come home from your current job. I would just try to be reachable during the day. Put your phone at home on "call diversion" to your mobile, if you are allowed to use a mobile during your working hours, and check your home email from time to time via webmail at work if your current company allows this, too. This is important as many agencies will want a relatively quick answer from you if you can take a job or not.
I understand that you want to earn money as quickly as possible after you have left your current job. But if you can afford it financially, don't rush things. I went travelling for about two months after I left my full time job and before I plunged myself into building my freelance career. I have never regretted it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advices needed for a newbie freelancer

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs