Trying to take off
Thread poster: Silvia Fernandez Castilla
Silvia Fernandez Castilla
Silvia Fernandez Castilla  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:58
English to Spanish
Apr 11, 2006

I have had my university degree in Translation & Interpreting for quite a few years now and I think it's about time to set myself up as a freelance translator. Are there any legal procedures I should follow? I have the feeling there are (invoicing, VAT...) but I don't know how to do it or where to start.

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart
Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Search the forums Apr 11, 2006

Hi Silvia,
I'm also fairly new to the world of translation and being a member of proz.com has certainly helped. I suggest you start off by searching the forums (go to Community and then Forum search), where you will find lots of posts on getting established, e.g. regarding rates, VAT, business practices etc. Networking is also a great way to meet other translators - have a look at upcoming Powwows and Conferences under Community.
Best of luck - we're in the same boat, I know how hard
... See more
Hi Silvia,
I'm also fairly new to the world of translation and being a member of proz.com has certainly helped. I suggest you start off by searching the forums (go to Community and then Forum search), where you will find lots of posts on getting established, e.g. regarding rates, VAT, business practices etc. Networking is also a great way to meet other translators - have a look at upcoming Powwows and Conferences under Community.
Best of luck - we're in the same boat, I know how hard it is to get things rolling in the first place...
Katharina

[Edited at 2006-04-11 18:00]
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
IR Apr 11, 2006

Hi Silvia,
Taking a look at past forum postings is a great idea. If you're working in the UK you need to tell the Inland Revenue. There is a fine if you don't let them know within 3 months of starting up. I wouldn't worry about VAT yet - you don't need to register until you're earning in the region of GBP 65,000.00 a year. I think you can register as self-employed online now. Give the Inland Revenue a call and they'll tell you what you
... See more
Hi Silvia,
Taking a look at past forum postings is a great idea. If you're working in the UK you need to tell the Inland Revenue. There is a fine if you don't let them know within 3 months of starting up. I wouldn't worry about VAT yet - you don't need to register until you're earning in the region of GBP 65,000.00 a year. I think you can register as self-employed online now. Give the Inland Revenue a call and they'll tell you what you need to do.
I've also been to a few Business Link seminars and found them helpful: see their guide to setting up and registering as self-employed.
Good luck,
Amy

[Edited at 2006-04-11 18:14]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Register with IR Apr 11, 2006

While talking to the IR, as Amy Williams rightly advises, it may be worth also registering to send your tax returns electronically. There is no charge, but you have to do it well in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to take off

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »