Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 15, 2002

Thanks all in advance for your help, this is kind of urgent!

How do you charge for Literary translations?

Thanks!

So long

Rufino

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
English to German
+ ...
What are you trying to achieve? Aug 16, 2002

Charge, and that\'s it. What\'s so special about \"literary tranlations\", IYO?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Generally I'd agree with Steffen Aug 16, 2002

but poetry has a special rate (ask the poets here. It\'s always higher). Publishing houses may also have a contract mode other than the per-word/per-line ones we use, especially if non-freelance translators are involved (i.e., specialized professionals from other fields, professors, magistrates, writers, etc.). In Spain, if you sign such a contract, you collect as per contract with no need to invoice. But if your client accepts your invoicing terms, there would be no further problems.

... See more
but poetry has a special rate (ask the poets here. It\'s always higher). Publishing houses may also have a contract mode other than the per-word/per-line ones we use, especially if non-freelance translators are involved (i.e., specialized professionals from other fields, professors, magistrates, writers, etc.). In Spain, if you sign such a contract, you collect as per contract with no need to invoice. But if your client accepts your invoicing terms, there would be no further problems.

Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
English to German
+ ...
I researched this a while ago Aug 16, 2002

In Germany literary translations are paid very badly, far less than anything else, usually per page. I don\'t know about other countries but I have a suspicion that the situation is similar. But you can and should negotiate royalties, usually a tiny percentage of the retail price from the 10.000 sold copy onwards. So if you translate a bestseller you\'re lucky. I have no personal experience (I wish I had), these are just informations I found on the German literary translators\' website.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My Italian experience Aug 17, 2002

In Italy, we charge by the page (cartella), which is equivalent to 1500 keystrokes including spaces. Then you apply different rates to your \"cartella\", depending on whether it is medical, legal, technical, urgent, etc.

Instead, the \"cartella letteraria\" goes from 1800 (rare) as high as 2200 keystrokes (thankfully, just as rare). The average is 2000/cartella, but one publisher I work with pays me for 1800 keystrokes/cartella.

At the same time, while the literary cartella i
... See more
In Italy, we charge by the page (cartella), which is equivalent to 1500 keystrokes including spaces. Then you apply different rates to your \"cartella\", depending on whether it is medical, legal, technical, urgent, etc.

Instead, the \"cartella letteraria\" goes from 1800 (rare) as high as 2200 keystrokes (thankfully, just as rare). The average is 2000/cartella, but one publisher I work with pays me for 1800 keystrokes/cartella.

At the same time, while the literary cartella is longer than the commercial \"cartella\", you don\'t always get paid more.

So in Italy -- as in Germany, according to posting above mine -- the literary \"cartella\" is considered poorly paid indeed!

There must be some way to find out the going rates in your country. For information on Italy, I know that AITI (Associazione Italiana Traduttori Interpreti) posts the rates, which are notoriously high. Nevertheless, it gives you an idea of the differences among the various kinds of \"cartelle\".

Perhaps there is a Spanish association online for you to check.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary Research

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »