Mobile menu

I'll pay you to outsource to me!
Thread poster: Bryan Smith

Bryan Smith
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2006

--I am editing this offer after receiving advice from several people who have more experience than I do, so you may find the first couple replies a bit odd in light of the edited version below--

Ok, here's the deal, folks. I need professional experience, so I would like to set up a mutually beneficial agreement with a translator or translators in my language pair. Either one of two options would occur. If you outsource a translation to me (and thereby incur the responsibility to the client), you will keep 80% of the resulting payment and only pay 20% to me for translating the document. If I get the job and ask you to proofread it for me, I will pay you 60% of the resulting payment for your comments, revisions, and the benefit of your experience, and I will keep only 40% of the payment.

I see people on here all the time talking about how they are turning down work because they don't have the time to do it. Here is a way that you can get paid close to translation rates for doing proofreading work all while helping out your fellow man. If anyone is interested, the details would be as follows:

1. Work should be either in my fields of specialization or non-technical in nature. It would never hurt to ask me about a certain field if you do not not know if I would be able to handle it.

2. At least initially, work would have a fairly wide deadline, not rush jobs. This would be just to ensure that we can work together in this way and avoid letting unforeseen circumstances cause undue stress.

3. You will provide comments or revisions on the translations to help me improve.

4. This agreement can be for an indefinite period of time (the arrangemnt will continue as long as it is mutually beneficial)

I work a full time job during the day and so would be performing the translations in the evenings and on weekends. Please feel free to write me for any more info.

I don't know if anyone will be interested in this offer or not, but far be it from me to leave any stone unturned in my quest to break into this wonderful profession.

Take care,
Bryan Smith

[Edited at 2006-04-28 18:53]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Don't! Apr 28, 2006

Hi Bryan

You have a good idea. You know what you need quite clearly, as you already state the conditions. I would just suggest to change one “detail”.
You outsource translations to me, and you keep the entire payment from the client.

Why?
This doesn’t have to be for free, the other translator can keep part of the payment for his mentoring work and for providing the job, but you need something more than “experience” to be motivated.

Put it the other way round: you’re going to pay the other translator for correcting your translation and giving you feedback.

For this reason I would also change this:
3. I would also much appreciate any comments or revisions on the translations as well if you see fit to help me out in this way.

This is what you’re paying for, so you expect comments and revisions.

I wish you good luck Bryan. You made me remember that some time ago I had the same thought and fortunately I met the right person.

Claudia

Bryan Smith
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is that any different from just asking for jobs then? Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for your comments on my idea. I made the second change as you are absolutely correct. This is what I would be paying for so I had might as well come right out and state it.

In regard to the first suggested change, I can't decide what to do here. If I offer to give the translator outsourcing to me only a portion of the pay, is this really any different than just begging for work and charging a ridiculously low rate? My intention is to offer a deal that is just too good to pass up so that some experienced and highly skilled translator will find it irresistable to help me out. Money was not the main concern.
However, I also see your point. Obviously a working for free scenario is necessarily pretty short term and it would be more beneficial in the long run to get at least some money for the translations thereby allowing the collaboration between the translator and myself to last a much longer time, without the need for money getting in the way as much. But how attractive is this really to my potential mentor? Translators are incredibly busy a lot of the time and even someone who wanted to help me out might be able to afford to take the time to do it unless it was REALLY worth their time.

What are your thoughts?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea, but you must get paid too... Apr 28, 2006

Bryan Smith wrote:
You outsource translations to me, and you keep the entire payment from the client. ... You will provide comments or revisions on the translations to help me improve.

It is being done by many translators, but usually as follows: You yourself get the jobs, translate them, and give them to the mentor for editing/proofreading. The mentor makes notes and even meets you to discuss things. For this, the mentor takes a very generous cut. You end up with about 40% payment, the mentor gets 60%. Tis best to work with someone nearby whom you know personally. And its also better to find your own work, so that you can build relationships with clients as you go along. IMO.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:03
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I see a difference Apr 28, 2006

Bryan Smith wrote:
If I offer to give the translator outsourcing to me only a portion of the pay, is this really any different than just begging for work and charging a ridiculously low rate?

My message means only "don't work for free" (I do, for NGO's or organizations I support, but not for translators or companies who do earn money thanks to my job).
You could notice that I didn't say which % you could charge, it's something the other translator and you must agree on.
You should consider your relationship as a fair trade. If you work for free and you feel disappointed by the corrections you will feel exploited ad you should try to avoid reaching that point. And it's symbolic: cheap isn't free.

My intention is to offer a deal that is just too good to pass up so that some experienced and highly skilled translator will find it irresistable to help me out. Money was not the main concern.

It's clear, even if you only charge 30% of the total amount.

Obviously a working for free scenario is necessarily pretty short term and it would be more beneficial in the long run to get at least some money for the translations thereby allowing the collaboration between the translator and myself to last a much longer time, without the need for money getting in the way as much. But how attractive is this really to my potential mentor? Translators are incredibly busy a lot of the time and even someone who wanted to help me out might be able to afford to take the time to do it unless it was REALLY worth their time.

You're right, but let's be positive: your posting has only been visible for a few hours, night time for many. Let's hope that some translators working in your languages will see it today. They will visit your profile. And they might contact you or answer publicly here.

Claudia

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:03
English to Russian
+ ...
this can be an attempt May 1, 2006

to find out who are active customers on the market, in order to approach them later directly.

another point: the guy will learn and get professional skills, but another translator (the outsorcerer) will be responsible to final customer for all possible mistakes and poor quality, if any.

[Edited at 2006-05-01 17:08]

[Edited at 2006-05-01 17:11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'll pay you to outsource to me!

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs