Mobile menu

Is this “waiver” appropriate?
Thread poster: xxxIntras
May 10, 2006

Dear colleagues,
Could you kindly tell me if you think this is appropriate? The agency asked me for a "declaration of accuracy" to go with a translation of a marriage certificate that I did.

“I, my name, qualified translator, certify that the enclosed text is a correct and true translation of the original document. I have translated the document to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:06
English to Russian
+ ...
This is your certification of translation May 10, 2006

In the US I translated a lot of paperwork for the Immigration and there is a similar phrase always required at the bottom of the translation. Since the notary can only confirm the identity of the translator but not the quality of translation, this is a certification of your translation. You are supposed to add your contact information, besides your signature and full name.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, I think that it is fine. May 10, 2006

I agree with Izabella. I regularly translate documents for the courts in California and usually supply this sentence or something to that effect which includes my contact details and signature.

The courts there require it. If perhaps you are unsure about it, one of our Prozians with a law background can shed some more light on it.

I have never felt uncomfortable adding this phrase and have never encoutered any problems.
I hope that this helps.

Good luck!

Thank you May 19, 2006

Thank you very much Izabella and Lucinda.
Best regards,

Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
In the UK? Mar 6, 2009

I would think that the same applies in the UK. There are no certified or sworn translators as such here so if you want a certified translation, then I assume all you need is to do the translation, include the certificate of accuracy at the bottom and have both parties sign a notarized document? ANybody has done this in the UK and could give some advice?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this “waiver” appropriate?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs