Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 11:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 14, 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm Mark, the British half of Chinese Concept. I'm looking for some advice or suggestions about getting certified as translators.

Myself and my Chinese colleague both have BA degrees in English but not in translation.

The whole world is aware of China's rapidly developing economy and the presence of western companies establishing joint ventures, setting up branch offices and subsidiaries has created an ever-increasing demand for translation.
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm Mark, the British half of Chinese Concept. I'm looking for some advice or suggestions about getting certified as translators.

Myself and my Chinese colleague both have BA degrees in English but not in translation.

The whole world is aware of China's rapidly developing economy and the presence of western companies establishing joint ventures, setting up branch offices and subsidiaries has created an ever-increasing demand for translation.

In short, whether it's a European / English language pair or an Asian / English language pair, the more strings you have to your bow the better!

Does anyone know of, or can recommend an institution whereby you can become certified as a translator online?

We know of a few major Chinese institutions that hold in-house examinations at particular times of the year but were wondering if you had ever come across other international institutions that offered online examination and certification?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you have to offer.

Mark
Collapse

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:23
French to English
+ ...
on dossier May 14, 2006

Hi Mark,

I know that ATIO (Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario, Canada) does certification on dossier - this is how I got certified in my French to English language pair.
They hold certification exams once a year, but I moved to France before the exam date. The solution was to be tested "on dossier", i.e I had to send sizeable samples of source and target texts that I had proof were done by me (eg published documents with my byline, etc., client references,
... See more
Hi Mark,

I know that ATIO (Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario, Canada) does certification on dossier - this is how I got certified in my French to English language pair.
They hold certification exams once a year, but I moved to France before the exam date. The solution was to be tested "on dossier", i.e I had to send sizeable samples of source and target texts that I had proof were done by me (eg published documents with my byline, etc., client references, etc.). You have to be a paying member of the association to go through the certification process.
Perhaps other associations in the UK or US work this way too?
Collapse

Ford Prefect
Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
Local time: 01:23
German to English
+ ...
Not on-line... May 15, 2006

...but you can sit the IoL DipTrans in Hong Kong. They may also have centres in China closer than that, it's worth asking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming Certified

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »