Mobile menu

How did you guys get started?
Thread poster: MichikoYS
Local time: 12:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2006

to all you freelancers out did you guys start? Do you live solely on income earned through translating? how do you find new projects?

i have a day job, and i actually do ALOT of econmics related translating, and therefore am thinking of concentrating solely on translating (freelance). However, it seems like a tough world out there!

I'd like to hear some stories.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
Typical story Jun 7, 2006

You don't quit your day job before starting out as a freelancer. When you get enough freelance work and you hardly have time left to take care of it beside your regular job, that's when it's time to take the leap.

If you have experience, like translation and honestly think you can handle working from home (many of us did, and realized too late it was easier said than done), then I suggest to get started taking jobs. You will see if you get any regular clients and enough work to carry on with freelancing alone. It took me a year to make the kind of money I would have made in a regular full-time job - and another year to make much more than all my other jobs. I am busy! And the above story is for real...

You have nothing to lose. The only advice is don't quit your day job yet. When the going gets tough, you'll switch over. You will know when it's time. In the meantime, get experience and get familiar with a part-time freelancer life, it will help you when you finally make the move. It's a pretty gradual process.

I hope this helps. Also read these forums, you will eventually get a good idea of how people start out - and how you can and should do it yourself.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How did you guys get started?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs