Evelyne Morel
Evelyne Morel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:44
English to French
Jun 19, 2006

Hi dears....

Me again asking for more.
Well just need to have your advise on where to find job offers other than on this website.

I already
- registered on some other similar websites (would not dare to mention them:)
- contacted agencies described in the blueboard
- tried to contact directly some clients that might be interested

I have undertaken several projects now, mainly Itlian into French (strangely enough) and all seemed to
... See more
Hi dears....

Me again asking for more.
Well just need to have your advise on where to find job offers other than on this website.

I already
- registered on some other similar websites (would not dare to mention them:)
- contacted agencies described in the blueboard
- tried to contact directly some clients that might be interested

I have undertaken several projects now, mainly Itlian into French (strangely enough) and all seemed to go well. But I am now waiting for some new offers.

Just need to know how you did guys.

Should I contact the agencies I already worked for to tell them I would be ready for more ?

My question is simply how do you become a regular translator. How do you make your one project become a long-term realtionship.

Thanks...

Just one more

Are July and August less busy ? Is it hard to find offers during these months ?

Thanks for your replies
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You did the necessary things Jun 20, 2006

Still there may be a directory of translators in you country of residence where you should still register, or one related to your native language. I got many clients apparently through Frank Truu, but that is concentrated on German.
There are always ups and downs, to my experience there is no regular fluctuation but it is truely random. So there will always be months when more jobs come in than you can accept and others, when you wonder, if all customers have died on you.
Regards
... See more
Still there may be a directory of translators in you country of residence where you should still register, or one related to your native language. I got many clients apparently through Frank Truu, but that is concentrated on German.
There are always ups and downs, to my experience there is no regular fluctuation but it is truely random. So there will always be months when more jobs come in than you can accept and others, when you wonder, if all customers have died on you.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Summer Jun 20, 2006

Evelyne Morel wrote:

Are July and August less busy ? Is it hard to find offers during these months ?

In the summer period many translators take holidays and some customers may have difficulties to place work. This may be a good opportunity for you. July uses to be a very busy month. August a bit less, but you never know.

Good luck !
Cristóbal

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:44
English to French
+ ...
Winter also Jun 20, 2006

Hi Évelyne,

I just wanted to add to what Cristóbal said. It seems that, just like in the summer, many of us go on holiday between beginning of December and beginning of January. I picked up several clients just by working right up to December 23. Clients seems to be desperate to find someone to do the job, and the fiscal year is also ending, so many companies try to spend whatever is left of their yearly budget, to justify to the board of directors a budget at least as big for the
... See more
Hi Évelyne,

I just wanted to add to what Cristóbal said. It seems that, just like in the summer, many of us go on holiday between beginning of December and beginning of January. I picked up several clients just by working right up to December 23. Clients seems to be desperate to find someone to do the job, and the fiscal year is also ending, so many companies try to spend whatever is left of their yearly budget, to justify to the board of directors a budget at least as big for the coming year. I find December is very hectic. Some people say I'm nuts to work on December 2Xth, but it's really a good strategy to pick up new clients. And the ones you pick up at that time of the year will not simply remember you as the one who did a great job, but rather as the one who saved their bums when they were desperate. A winner!

Good luck!
Collapse

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
August a peak month Jun 20, 2006

Hi!
Personally, I have always been lucky as regards August, because I got a lot of work mainly due to the fact that fellow translators were on holdiay.
This is also one of the reasons why I never went on holiday in August.
This year I'll try July and see what happens:)))
However, I agree with Heinrich. There are always peak and less busy months...
If you are interested in other sort of jobs like language consulting, experience shows that you can get new customers as
... See more
Hi!
Personally, I have always been lucky as regards August, because I got a lot of work mainly due to the fact that fellow translators were on holdiay.
This is also one of the reasons why I never went on holiday in August.
This year I'll try July and see what happens:)))
However, I agree with Heinrich. There are always peak and less busy months...
If you are interested in other sort of jobs like language consulting, experience shows that you can get new customers as well through corporate courses... and overcome less busy times, beside the fun factor involved in teaching:)))

Just my 2 Eurocents worth...
Good luck!
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:44
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Local Translator's Association Jun 20, 2006

The most cost effective source of long term clients is the local translator's association. Membership is not always cheap, but definately worthwhile. The people who contact it are looking for good translation, not the lowest rates. I have gotten many a long term client from the Israeli Translation Association.

My two shekels worth.

Stephen Rifkind

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:44
... Jun 20, 2006

I don't think there is much point telling old clients that you are available now - it comes across as being desperate. Even if you are, why tell them that?

Evelyne Morel
Evelyne Morel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Working during summer time.... Jun 20, 2006

Thanks for your replies,

Well, I will soonly experience how the translation business is running during summer time, will be there and ready to work during July and August.
Regarding what you said Viktoria, I particularly agree with that.
For me when it comes to work, there is no calendar, holidays or best timing anymore, it is just a matter of getting a real interesting offer whatever the time of the year.
I used to work crazy hours and always during holiday time
... See more
Thanks for your replies,

Well, I will soonly experience how the translation business is running during summer time, will be there and ready to work during July and August.
Regarding what you said Viktoria, I particularly agree with that.
For me when it comes to work, there is no calendar, holidays or best timing anymore, it is just a matter of getting a real interesting offer whatever the time of the year.
I used to work crazy hours and always during holiday time : summer, easter, christmas....as a cruise manager (in a past life it seems to me now), so really, working on a project during that period (and being at home) just seems ok.

Just another thought.....don't know if you felt the same but as for me :
Starting this adventure just make me feel soooooo good. Feel like I am just at the right place, right time and doing the right job now (using my real skills and be paid for that) and it just feels awesome

I love translating, so much to do, to learn, to discover, to share....so many different projects, firms, languages....
Being always ready to jump on the next nice offer that seem to suit your profile, hoping to get it, getting it. Discovering the project, its difficulty, technicity and deciding "yes I can make it".
Then the core part: playing with words, techniques, pushing your limits further and further for very urgent projects, searching by any possible ways the meaning of that one word you cannot really grasp until you finally make it happen....a really nice undertandable translated document.
Don't know how you see your job and your contribution, but for me this is like a "travail de fourmi" (as we say in French) what we could translate as "ants' job" which means hard work that nobody seems to notice but which is so essential within the global chain. I have never really liked to be on stage, so for me, working in the shadow is just perfect. As if nobody noticed you were there but sill without you doing this work, nothing would happen as it does : the new immigrant who needs is CV translated for his next important interview, the spokesman you needs a really clear powerpoint presentation of the technical project he has to present to an audience of over 200 people, the local company which wants to reach foreign markets through a nice website..... there are so many who need our help. Hum ???? I like thinking that way indeed Hope to thinkd that way for a loooooooong time.
What do you think ?

Was just the thought of the day I wanted to share with you nothing more.....
Thanks dears
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 13:44
Member (2003)
French to English
Yes, definitely Jun 23, 2006

Stephen Rifkind wrote:

The most cost effective source of long term clients is the local translator's association. Membership is not always cheap, but definately worthwhile. The people who contact it are looking for good translation, not the lowest rates. I have gotten many a long term client from the Israeli Translation Association.

My two shekels worth.

Stephen Rifkind

Go to conferences/seminars, etc., exchange business cards with colleagues, basically start to network. Besides being enjoyable and giving you needed contacts with professionals in the field, you will learn a lot, and sometimes the contacts you make can lead to referrals, and eventually work. This type of in person contact is invaluable for new and seasoned translators (and those of us who fall somewhere in between).

Evelyne, I just read your most recent post, and yes I agree that translation often is not looked upon by others outside the field as a true profession. I do know some seasoned translators who are big on "client education", which can be a constructive way to deal with misperceptions, etc. I guess I'm also at the point where although I do like to educate those who are interested enough to inquire on certain points, on the other hand for those who are happy being oblivious, I don't fault them for that because if I weren't in this game, I would be in their shoes, and besides if I'm happy doing what I'm doing then I don't need to do it for others' esteem anyway. Like you, you don't really need center stage anyway, but you have the enthusiasm and passion for the details and mechanics, so I would say definitely stick with it, don't give up, try not to get discouraged, and keep asking good questions, you are on the right track.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apart from PROZ....

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »