Thread poster: Vasileios Moschovos
Vasileios Moschovos
Vasileios Moschovos
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
Greek to German
+ ...
Jul 4, 2006

Hello from the UK! I am fairly new in this proz site and I would like to ask if anyone can help me into finding any freelance translation jobs or interpretation gigs covering English, German and Greek in the area of Norfolk, East Anglia. Thank you very much for any answers/ suggestions.
Vasilis

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:19
English to French
+ ...
Your area is too specific Jul 5, 2006

Hi Vasileios,

The area you mention is a little too specific to find a steady workflow there.

I think your best bet is to make yourself a neat-looking profile and start answering job posts on the site here. Also, carefully watch the agencies/outsourcers on ProZ. You will eventually get to know who has a lot of work - some of them post something every other day. Also do a search on the net for agencies all over the UK and get in touch with them.

It will take
... See more
Hi Vasileios,

I think your best bet is to make yourself a neat-looking profile and start answering job posts on the site here. Also, carefully watch the agencies/outsourcers on ProZ. You will eventually get to know who has a lot of work - some of them post something every other day. Also do a search on the net for agencies all over the UK and get in touch with them.

It will take some time, but if you make your very few clients happy in the beginning and keep taking care of your profile - eventually add a website - then after a while you will get offers you didn't even sollicitate.

Most importantly, keep working on it and when you do get a contract, do your best. The beginning is always slow... I used to have a hard time, too, when I started out, but now, I can't keep up with all the work coming my way.

Good luck!
Collapse

Vasileios Moschovos
Vasileios Moschovos
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for answering Jul 5, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Hi Vasileios,

It will take some time, but if you make your very few clients happy in the beginning and keep taking care of your profile - eventually add a website - then after a while you will get offers you didn't even sollicitate.

Most importantly, keep working on it and when you do get a contract, do your best. The beginning is always slow... I used to have a hard time, too, when I started out, but now, I can't keep up with all the work coming my way.

Good luck!

Thanx! I specified this area mostly for intrerpretation gigs, translations can be accepted from all over the world as this site clearly represents the literal manifestation of the "global village"

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:19
English to French
+ ...
Interpreting - a tough nut Jul 5, 2006

I do not interpret, however, here is what I know about it.

When you live in a big city - I live in Montreal - you can get a steady flow of work quite easily within a year. But when you live in smaller towns or in rural areas, of course, there are less court cases, less congresses - in short, a much smaller demand for interpreting services.

Interpreting is a very "classy" job, and many clients are ready to shell out big bucks to get a real pro. If you do simultaneous int
... See more
I do not interpret, however, here is what I know about it.

When you live in a big city - I live in Montreal - you can get a steady flow of work quite easily within a year. But when you live in smaller towns or in rural areas, of course, there are less court cases, less congresses - in short, a much smaller demand for interpreting services.

Interpreting is a very "classy" job, and many clients are ready to shell out big bucks to get a real pro. If you do simultaneous interpreting, that already helps a lot - not many people do it, and even those who do are not all very good at it. In Canada, when a company that uses those services fairly often finds a rare pearl, they do their best to hire the person and s/he becomes an exclusive interpreter for that particular company. There is a voice I keep recognizing on TV and it's an interpreter's voice who I find does a terrific job. I hear his voice on TV almost every day - he has more than enough work.

What I'm trying to say is that, if you're good at it, and especially if you do simultaneous interpreting, then you should maybe still widen your horizons. Like I said, clients are ready to pay for your services, even when it involves paying for your travel, hotel room, meals, etc. So, you can also advertise your services outside of your region. You can pretty much advertise in all towns in your area and even some other areas. The Kingdom is rather large, I agree, but it's small enough so that you can almost advertise your services nationwide. If you are talented, have some experince with clients who are ready to attest of it and are ready to travel short distances, eventually, you will get traveling jobs. And I don't know about you, but I would love to travel for work - as long as it's not for too long or too far.

For more specific info, you would need to speak to interpreters. I wonder if there's a forum for that here...?

Best of luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

work enquiery

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »