Mobile menu

New York Univeristy Certificate in Translation
Thread poster: dnewby19
dnewby19

Local time: 21:36
Sep 12, 2002

I\'ve been working (though Lord knows, not much) as a Japanese>English translator for the past year and I\'m looking to add a little bit of meat to my resume. In particular I\'ve been looking at NYU\'s online translation certificate program. It\'s a well-regarded school, and it seems to offer a good overview of the field. I\'d appreciate the advice of anyone who\'s familiar with the program, or who can recommend any other good post-grad translation programs in the US.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicholas Pizzigati  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
Spanish to English
NYU Professional Certificate Oct 2, 2003

I am currently taking courses towards the Spanish->English Certificate, and I've been pleased with the quality of the courses, and maybe even more so with the enthusiasm, knowledge and articulateness of my classmates.
From what I hear, the certificate is also well-looked upon in the industry.
My only qualm at this moment is that the online course offering is somewhat limited, so I haven't been able to move forward at the speed I would like.

Harvetta Asamoah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:36
French to English
+ ...
Current NYU Student Nov 29, 2003

I have taken three courses: Intro to Translation, Legal I, Translating into the Source Language, and I'm currently taking Commercial I. I have to take Legal II and Commercial II to complete my certificate. My translating rate per hour is much faster as a result of taking the courses.

I agree that one of the best things about the program is the camaradie, but not only with the students --- the professors, all practicing translators, are extremely committed to giving us feedback on our translations and to providing guidance on working as translators. Also, I was impressed that NYU treated students to lunch at the ATA Annual Conference.

[Edited at 2003-11-29 11:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York Univeristy Certificate in Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs