https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/51746-process_destription_of_getting_translation_job.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Process destription of getting translation job.
Thread poster: Shukhrat Yoqubov
Shukhrat Yoqubov
Shukhrat Yoqubov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 11:10
English to Uzbek
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

Dear collegues,
My name is Shuhrat Yoqubov, from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. I'm an English-Uzbek translator. I have joined Proz.com in August 2005 and posted my cv on the site. (my profile URL: http://www.proz.com/profile/119487
Then started to quote on the translation jobs posted at proz.com. Nothing turned out. In march 2006 I became a platinum member with the hope that I would get transla
... See more
Dear collegues,
My name is Shuhrat Yoqubov, from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. I'm an English-Uzbek translator. I have joined Proz.com in August 2005 and posted my cv on the site. (my profile URL: http://www.proz.com/profile/119487
Then started to quote on the translation jobs posted at proz.com. Nothing turned out. In march 2006 I became a platinum member with the hope that I would get translation jobs. Unfortunately still I can't get any jobs. May be I'm doing something wrong? I would appretiate if someone could explain the whole process in detail starting from getting registered at proz up to getting paid for the translation job.

Thank you in advance,

Shuhrat
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hard to say why Jul 21, 2006

Your profile page looks ok to me.
When a job offer appears on proz.com you should perhaps try to contact the outsourcer as personnally as possible, phone them, if possible, or mail directly.
Is your pricing adequate, not too high, not too cheap?
Are you using CAT-tools, do you offer additional services (dtp, proofreading etc.)?
I myself get only a small fraction of my work through proz.com, but its increasing!
Good luck!
Regards
Heinrich

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:10
English to Serbian
+ ...
just a thought Jul 21, 2006

Maybe you should check rates for your language pairs and see what other translators charge - not only Proz but also some other sites. Other than that, I also dont have much work from Proz but I have impression that some clients contacted me after they saw my profile here.

Cheer up, with your experience and knowlegde you will be busy enough to complain one day.

Nataša

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:10
English to Spanish
a few ideas Jul 21, 2006

Hi Shuhrat,

As I say, just some ideas.

It could be a good idea to explain a bit more, though still in a concise manner, what you've done in the section "About me". Also, it may be useful to add many more keywords in your list. I believe, the more keywords you add, the more chances you have of someone getting your profile when doing a search in a search engine.

I do not like to write in forums very much and I'm trying to cut down, because this interventions
... See more
Hi Shuhrat,

It could be a good idea to explain a bit more, though still in a concise manner, what you've done in the section "About me". Also, it may be useful to add many more keywords in your list. I believe, the more keywords you add, the more chances you have of someone getting your profile when doing a search in a search engine.

I do not like to write in forums very much and I'm trying to cut down, because this interventions can also (I believe) be read by anyone who happen to search in, let's say, Google. I personally do not like that, but you may consider this as a way of promoting yourself more. Proz seems to be built in the phylosophy that the more you contribute and participate, the more chances you have of being found.

For the same reason, it can be very useful to build glossaries with the relevant option in your profile. I have built very little ones because I am trying to write things that may be of interest to others and not just to me and because I don't have endless time.

There is an article written by this site founder (Henry) on how to boost your profile which is very useful (http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/447/1/Five-easy-(and-free)-ways-to-boost-your-profile-traffic).

Kindest regards and lots of luck!

Marta

Note: Another thing. I know my photo is very lacking in many things (eg. the smirk) but at least it can be seen. But Shuhrat (please, no offence taken) it is impossible to see your face at all in your photo, might be good to change it.

[Edited at 2006-07-21 08:42]

Note 2: mmmm, can't help much with getting a job, I'm at it myself, as I'm just starting as a freelancer. I got my previous job as a full-time in-house translator via the Carreers Webpage of my University, where my previous employer advertised. For what I've read in several forums, "marketing" seems to be the key thing: proz, website, business card, good covering letters, etc.

[Edited at 2006-07-21 09:29]

[Edited at 2006-07-21 09:33]
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
... Jul 21, 2006

Hi Shuhrat,

I would recommend to revise your Portfolio section. At least its English-Russian section...

Irina Romanova-Wasike
Irina Romanova-Wasike
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+1 Jul 21, 2006

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Hi Shuhrat,

I would recommend to revise your Portfolio section. At least its English-Russian section...

Please don't take it hard, but I'd recommend the same...

Удачи!

[Редактировалось 2006-07-21 08:59]

Shukhrat Yoqubov
Uzbekistan
English to Uzbek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 21, 2006

[Thank you for noting Marta, I will do so.]Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

Hi Shuhrat,

I do not lik
... See more
[Thank you for noting Marta, I will do so.]Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

Hi Shuhrat,

I do not like to write in forums very much and I'm trying to cut down, because this interventions can also (I believe) be read by anyone who happen to search in, let's say, Google. I personally do not like that, but you may consider this as a way of promoting yourself more. Proz seems to be built in the phylosophy that the more you contribute and participate, the more chances you have of being found.

For the same reason, it can be very useful to build glossaries with the relevant option in your profile. I have built very little ones because I am trying to write things that may be of interest to others and not just to me and because I don't have endless time.

There is an article written by this site founder (Henry) on how to boost your profile which is very useful.

Kindest regards and lots of luck!

Marta

Note: Another thing. I know my photo is very lacking in many things (eg. the smirk) but at least it can be seen. But Shuhrat (please, no offence taken) it is impossible to see your face at all in your photo, might be good to change it.

[Edited at 2006-07-21 08:42] [/quote]
Collapse

Shukhrat Yoqubov
Uzbekistan
English to Uzbek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all who replied Jul 21, 2006

Dear collegues,

Thank you all who replied to me. Your advice is invaluable. I will certainly put them into practice. But to be honest I was expecting a step by step explanation of the job getting process.

Shuhrat

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the job-getting process Jul 21, 2006

The jobs arrive in different ways:

1. You are alerted to a job by making sure that your settings are configured for you to receive emails when a job is posted in your pair. When a job comes up, you check out the job poster on the BlueBoard and decide whether you want to apply or not.
You apply for a particular project on proz.com by responding as quickly as possible, precisely as the job poster requests it, which may be by email or by submitting your profile, which gives you t
... See more
The jobs arrive in different ways:

1. You are alerted to a job by making sure that your settings are configured for you to receive emails when a job is posted in your pair. When a job comes up, you check out the job poster on the BlueBoard and decide whether you want to apply or not.
You apply for a particular project on proz.com by responding as quickly as possible, precisely as the job poster requests it, which may be by email or by submitting your profile, which gives you the edge over non-members.
(Check out the article I wrote on how to make a good impression:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/75/ )
There is an automated response system if the job poster wants to select you through proz.com, because the job poster will receive a proz.com page and can tick a box to accept your offer, in which case you will receive an email from proz.com to say that you have been selected and you will start to communicate directly with the job poster.

2. People may look you up in the list of free-lancers and contact you through proz.com with an email (where they tick the box: request for quote - or something like that). I entirely agree that making your face visible would help to make someone select you, because it makes you look 'shady' at the moment.

3. Colleagues will get to know you on the forums or due to your contributions to kudoz and remember you when they are looking for someone in your language pair. I regularly contact people from proz.com who made a good impression on me by giving interesting kudoz answers or who sounded professional in the forums.
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Proactive, not reactive Jul 21, 2006

You have to just keep mailing your CV to many translation agencies and potential customers. Persistence and application is the key. You should see an improvement after 3-6 months. As a freelancer, you have to be a business person. What I mean by this is that you have to get out there and create your own business, find your customers, develop relationships with clients and other translators rather than sitting back waiting for people to see your site and mail you.

It is worth bear
... See more
You have to just keep mailing your CV to many translation agencies and potential customers. Persistence and application is the key. You should see an improvement after 3-6 months. As a freelancer, you have to be a business person. What I mean by this is that you have to get out there and create your own business, find your customers, develop relationships with clients and other translators rather than sitting back waiting for people to see your site and mail you.

It is worth bearing the theory of "supply and demand" in mind. Sometimes, things are quiet in your language pair and other times it is crazy. THere's not much you can do if the jobs are not there.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-07-21 11:59]
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe adding Turkish to your language pairs may help Jul 21, 2006

Hello Shurat,
I would also suggest maybe adding Turkish to your language pairs. I do primarily Turkish and get a steady amount of work, and have branched into other Turkic languages and get the occasional job. Turkish and Uzbek have many similarities and you should be able to pick it up quick, and I would especially recomend the Turkish to English Pair (I only translate into English from the Turkic languages).
I would also take the tips on marketing yourself. You will see more work c
... See more
Hello Shurat,
I would also suggest maybe adding Turkish to your language pairs. I do primarily Turkish and get a steady amount of work, and have branched into other Turkic languages and get the occasional job. Turkish and Uzbek have many similarities and you should be able to pick it up quick, and I would especially recomend the Turkish to English Pair (I only translate into English from the Turkic languages).
I would also take the tips on marketing yourself. You will see more work come your way, just allow some time. If you need any specific answers or lanaguge recommendations feel free to email me.
regards,
Alp Berker
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my opinion ... Jul 21, 2006

quoting prices up front is a way to roadblock unwanted offers. My way of doing is to fend them off after they got through. Sort of "just compare" approach (courtesy of Lee Iacocca) but in terms of services, not (not yet) prices.

Anyhow, at the moment it's buyer's market for you I would assume. But given exotic language pairs (appologize, but read on) , you can expect handsome money down the road if you persist. I'd say you've got a boatload of suggestions by now anyhow.
... See more
quoting prices up front is a way to roadblock unwanted offers. My way of doing is to fend them off after they got through. Sort of "just compare" approach (courtesy of Lee Iacocca) but in terms of services, not (not yet) prices.

Anyhow, at the moment it's buyer's market for you I would assume. But given exotic language pairs (appologize, but read on) , you can expect handsome money down the road if you persist. I'd say you've got a boatload of suggestions by now anyhow.

And yes, a better picture would not hurt.

Wish you all the best - I know how it feels

[Edited at 2006-07-21 21:47]
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
A different point of view... Jul 21, 2006

Shuhrat Yoqubov wrote:

But to be honest I was expecting a step by step explanation of the job getting process.

Shuhrat

Hello Shuhrat,

I am surprised that no one else has told you what follows, since I know other colleagues have had a similar experience to mine.

My pairs are English to Spanish and French to Spanish. I have been translating for more than ten years now; have been a Proz.com user since 2003, and a member since March 2006. So far, I have only obtained one job directly throught this site, and two more through colleagues I met here. That's it!

People might say the above is be because offer is abundant in my pairs, and my prices might be high. Yes, maybe, but I still have my clients and a steady work flow.

I do not mean to discourage you; however, as another colleague already pointed out, I believe you have to take a proactive approach, look for clients everywhere, and not just wait for them to find you here.

What I value most in Proz.com is the networking opportunity it offers to meet peers from around the world, and the help provided not only through Kudoz, but also through the forums. The job section is the least important to me.

Last but not least, I can see from your CV that you have worked with a few NGOs. Have you thought about informing them that you are now doing translations? They know you, and they might have work for you. Also, given your past experience in the field, you might wish to contact other NGOs that you know work with your languages. The resources some of them have are so scarce that they might actually be looking for voluntary translations, but I still believe exploring the field in which you previously worked is a good starting point.

Good luck, be persistent, and do not despair!

[Edited at 2006-07-21 22:20]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Try Locally Jul 22, 2006

Hi Shuhrat,

Best wishes. Our colleagues have given you some good tips, but only you can find what works for you. I know we are in the Internet age and it may seem like a magic carpet to everywhere, but...

Your language has a low profile in the rest of the world, but a high profile in your own country. Thus it would seem that your own home town is the best place to start. You can of course try to find local clients, and you can also try to find foreign clients through lo
... See more
Hi Shuhrat,

Best wishes. Our colleagues have given you some good tips, but only you can find what works for you. I know we are in the Internet age and it may seem like a magic carpet to everywhere, but...

Your language has a low profile in the rest of the world, but a high profile in your own country. Thus it would seem that your own home town is the best place to start. You can of course try to find local clients, and you can also try to find foreign clients through local companies, professionals and organizations that may be establishing relationships with foreign entities that in turn can become your clients.

So I would say that one good strategy would be to start knocking on doors right there in Tashkent.
Collapse

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Process of acceptance Jul 22, 2006

Dear Shuhrat:

My experience is that the easiest way to get jobs is to be first or be willing to take rush jobs. In the case of the former, you might get a small job, a birth certificate or the like, for very little money. Take your time and do it well. These small jobs, if well done, often lead to them calling you for serious, well paying jobs. As for the rush jobs, the pay is good, but the hours are terrible. Some experienced translators, or those with families and enough busi
... See more
Dear Shuhrat:

My experience is that the easiest way to get jobs is to be first or be willing to take rush jobs. In the case of the former, you might get a small job, a birth certificate or the like, for very little money. Take your time and do it well. These small jobs, if well done, often lead to them calling you for serious, well paying jobs. As for the rush jobs, the pay is good, but the hours are terrible. Some experienced translators, or those with families and enough business, do not like these rush jobs, leaving the field for the new and single. These two jobs are the easiest to get first.

My two shekels worth.

Stephen Rifkind
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Process destription of getting translation job.

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »