Website or blog
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2006

As a newbie to the world of freelancing, I'm still undecided about setting up a website.

I've just made out some business cards and realised that it would be useful if I had an Internet site or blog where clients could see my full profile and services.

As I have no idea how to create a website (can one do this in MS Publisher?), I was thinking about creating a blog instead. Would this be less professional? Do many translators do this?

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 04:01
English to Russian
Site, not blog Jul 28, 2006

You are not going to be able to fill your flog
with anything sensible for your business.
+ Buy Dreamweaver or learn to code HTML
Good luck!

Susanne Schnitzler (X)
Susanne Schnitzler (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:01
English to German
Website Jul 28, 2006

Like Aleksandr I think it is better to create a website.

You could try google on "selfhtml", this file can teach you a lot of this html-stuff.

Perhaps you could barter with a webdesigner? S/he does your site, you do the newsletter or any necessary translation.

Ah, since I mention this ... anyone interested

Yours
Susanne

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Website for dummies Jul 28, 2006

Many Internet providers offer website editors for dummies. After two years of having a domain registered but failing to do anything with it, I started using Proz.com hosting and I now have a simple website, finally....

I also have a blog, which is more personal.

Anjo

http://your-translation.eu

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
You just need a few seconds Jul 28, 2006

to make a site.

http://pages.google.com/?pli=1

You don't need to buy anything.

Regards

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blogs - unprofessional? Jul 28, 2006

Would a blog on a business card look unprofessional?

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reaction of potential clients Jul 28, 2006

Fernando Toledo wrote:

to make a site.

http://pages.google.com/?pli=1

You don't need to buy anything.

Regards

That looks interesting. How do you think potential clients would react?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Blogs are professional Jul 28, 2006

eva75 wrote:

Would a blog on a business card look unprofessional?

but are intended to create a dynamic process, with news, comments, articles, references and so. If you want a "visit card" just make a visit card.
There are no reason to create a blog if you don't pretend to maintain it as a kind of diary.

And a blog can any time implemented into a site...

Regards

Courtney McConnel (X)
Courtney McConnel (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
i love having 2 websites & a blog Jul 28, 2006

Hi!

I've spent a bit of money & even more time on mine, but it's well worth it. My translation biz has continued to increase & my blog is getting good traffic, which will generate traffic to my website (for writing). Though the blog has little to do with translation, one of the most avid readers is a client's client! The blog is also way more dynamic than the website (I don't have a clue about all that html stuff, just making the computer work for translating & writing, not to menti
... See more
Hi!

I've spent a bit of money & even more time on mine, but it's well worth it. My translation biz has continued to increase & my blog is getting good traffic, which will generate traffic to my website (for writing). Though the blog has little to do with translation, one of the most avid readers is a client's client! The blog is also way more dynamic than the website (I don't have a clue about all that html stuff, just making the computer work for translating & writing, not to mention downloading music and photos is enough work! I can't do it all.) Also, there are places to advertise your blog for free (ex: www.expatblog.com), which could bring in more traffic than a mere website. Plus, don't forget to create your 'signature' to be applied to all emails you send. In Jay Conrad Levinson's Guerilla Marketing books, that's a biggie in terms of free marketing tools. You can be creative for now, since you don't have the website today, and add a tag line to your signature.

The thing that amazes me about this form of communication is its efficacy. Even childhood friends have directed work my way thanks to the exposure. And not to mention that you always have the opportunity for multiple contacts within a contact (for ex: different departments within the same company). You have the benefit of already being "in" with the co. & so the co-worker can look up your rates and specialties to see if she can use you, too.

As you can see, I'm well & truly won over by websites and blogs & continuously recommend it to everyone. Its a way for your mind to exist, a free & fun way to express yourself, & you have complete control of it.

I shopped for two years to find my web designer & I would not leave him for all the world. It's like he rendered the most accurate and spectacular 'translation' of my imagination & of myself in images & graphics.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website or blog

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »