Where do you all find jobs?
Thread poster: Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)
Karina Perry (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:26
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2006

I have done some on and off translation work (English Danish) for years, and now I want to get more of it.
Where do everyone get their jobs from? Merely from postings on proz.com? I have read a number of people talking about having big clients that steadily gives jobs, how do you find those?

Thanks

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:26
French to English
+ ...
Hi Karina Aug 8, 2006

Most people here probably don't make most of their income from job postings here - though there are occasionally good projects. Really, the best way of finding more translation work, apart from being good at it of course, and I'm sure you are, is to make sure the people looking for translators can find you easily - have a good visible profile here (which you have), look into ways of raising your ranking in the directory, perhaps earn some Kudoz points, get a website, join associations (ATA?)and ... See more
Most people here probably don't make most of their income from job postings here - though there are occasionally good projects. Really, the best way of finding more translation work, apart from being good at it of course, and I'm sure you are, is to make sure the people looking for translators can find you easily - have a good visible profile here (which you have), look into ways of raising your ranking in the directory, perhaps earn some Kudoz points, get a website, join associations (ATA?)and perhaps get accredited/'officially' qualified, get out and meet people, find local translators and talk to them (the last parts are also fun).

It sounds like you've had some experience already, so you can use that to market yourself to other agencies or direct clients (it's probably easier to start with work through agencies as they do all the work of finding clients). Ultimately you will (hopefully!) be able to let the work find you.
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:26
English to Polish
+ ...
Two hints Aug 8, 2006

1. Provide each and every (even smallest) client with your business card. If they need a translation in your language pair, they may have contacts with others with the same need - e.g. perhaps a girl speaking Danish has a job of a bilingual secretary at a company trading with Denmark? Or will get one in a month or two? Or she has a Danish boyfriend? Or ... I keep giving away business cards by handfuls, and it works.
2. Networking. I have two translator friends locally, and the three of us
... See more
1. Provide each and every (even smallest) client with your business card. If they need a translation in your language pair, they may have contacts with others with the same need - e.g. perhaps a girl speaking Danish has a job of a bilingual secretary at a company trading with Denmark? Or will get one in a month or two? Or she has a Danish boyfriend? Or ... I keep giving away business cards by handfuls, and it works.
2. Networking. I have two translator friends locally, and the three of us have the same out-of-office message on our e-mail and answerphone "I'm sorry to be unavailable until ... If the job is urgent, you may contact X or Y who have agreed to replace me." As long as it is truly reciprocal, it works even too well. One of those friends is on a holiday now ... OK, I must get back to the pile of work.
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clients, yes, and potential clients, too Aug 8, 2006

Iza Szczypka wrote:

This can't be emphasized enough, but let me add that not only clients but potential clients can be recipients of your business cards. Who is a potential client? Any friend or acquaintance, or friend or acquaintance of your friends, relatives, in-laws, and acquaintances.

Even family members and close friends may be willing to carry some copies of your business card.

I don't mean that you should rudely push your business card at everyone you meet, on every occasion, but in many casual conversations the topic of what you do comes up naturally, and then it is can be quite apropos to give the other person your business card. In the future, when they, in turn, meet someone who needs a translation in your languages, they will be able to help that person, giving them your card.

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
What details to include on card Aug 13, 2006

I already have my name and profession, postal address, two phone numbers and email address on my card.
I may add a blog or a website, as then future clients could see all the services I offer instead of listing these on the card. I don't want it to be too cramped. Is it acceptable to have information on the reverse side of the card??

If someone knows of a good site that gives advice I'd be very grateful.

[Edited at 2006-08-13 14:44]

[Edited
... See more
I already have my name and profession, postal address, two phone numbers and email address on my card.
I may add a blog or a website, as then future clients could see all the services I offer instead of listing these on the card. I don't want it to be too cramped. Is it acceptable to have information on the reverse side of the card??

If someone knows of a good site that gives advice I'd be very grateful.

[Edited at 2006-08-13 14:44]

[Edited at 2006-08-13 15:05]

[Edited at 2006-08-13 15:25]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
About business cards Sep 25, 2006

Sites with advice on designing business cards:

- Rethinking business cards
- Some examples
- More creative suggestions
- Extreme creativity
... See more
Sites with advice on designing business cards:

- Rethinking business cards
- Some examples
- More creative suggestions
- Extreme creativity
- Some basics of business card design
- Creativity again... perhaps the links at the bottom are the most useful part of this site
- More links to tips and templates
Collapse

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
details on business cards Dec 18, 2006

eva75 wrote:

Well, I also think it's not a good idea to put too many details on a business card. Mine only has my name, website and language combinations on it. Too much information appears somehow disorganised because you have to cramp the words together. Better reduce them to the most important...

Best regards,
Anne

Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Local time: 00:26
Japanese to English
business cards Mar 20, 2007

Regarding business cards, do most people here simply print their own cards? Or do you have any recommended places to order them from?

Also, any advice on paper quality would be appreciated!

I am a business card newbie.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do you all find jobs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »