https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/53026-shall_i_communicate_my_bank_details_to_possible_agencies.html

Shall I communicate my bank details to possible agencies?
Thread poster: Laura Morarelli
Laura Morarelli
Laura Morarelli
Italy
Local time: 03:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 10, 2006

Hallo everybody,

I just wanted to ask a question to translators who have a larger experience than I do.

A few British agencies, before even giving me a job, once they have seen my CV and they think I might be suitable as a translator, ask me for my bank details in the UK. I guess it is just because it is more practicle to have it in their translators' information data.

I would like to ask you which is your usual behaviour, if you supply agencies with you
... See more
Hallo everybody,

I just wanted to ask a question to translators who have a larger experience than I do.

A few British agencies, before even giving me a job, once they have seen my CV and they think I might be suitable as a translator, ask me for my bank details in the UK. I guess it is just because it is more practicle to have it in their translators' information data.

I would like to ask you which is your usual behaviour, if you supply agencies with your bank details only once you've worked for them.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Laura
Collapse

Soren Petersen
Soren Petersen
United States
Local time: 20:05
English to Danish
+ ...
I don't. Aug 10, 2006

I normally give them my bank details when I send them my invoice. I don't see any reason to give them the details before then.

Cheers,
Soren

P.S. I also use PayPal a lot - even easier.

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Some agencies insist on having your bank details Aug 10, 2006

But that can led to a mistake. I first registered with one translation agency 4 years ago but got their first project just a few months ago. The tried to pay me into the account the details of which I provided 4 years ago and which since then has been closed!

The agency didn't even bother to look at the new bank details which I provided with my invoice...

Live and learn...

Andres Bi
Andres Bi
Argentina
Local time: 22:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I would ask for a check. Aug 10, 2006

Whith todays' electronic scams, I would think twice before giving perosnal information. Rds.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
I don't either. Aug 10, 2006

I agree with Soren; I also do not provide them with my bank details in the initial stages. As Soren said, I also provide the banking/wire transfer details with my invoice.

What I do, however, in my marketing letter to the agency, Is let them know that I have several payments options, such as Bank X in Y country , Bank Z in W country, and PayPal, etc. But I do not provide an account Nr here or any more account details. At this point in the letter I also tell them my rate and peri
... See more
I agree with Soren; I also do not provide them with my bank details in the initial stages. As Soren said, I also provide the banking/wire transfer details with my invoice.

What I do, however, in my marketing letter to the agency, Is let them know that I have several payments options, such as Bank X in Y country , Bank Z in W country, and PayPal, etc. But I do not provide an account Nr here or any more account details. At this point in the letter I also tell them my rate and period for payment, usually net 30 days .

I have several clients who are on a different (longer or shorter) pay period, but we negotiated that before the first job, and I then put their particular payment period in the invoice. This just for me to keep things straight. For example, I have a couple of clients who pay after 45 days - I put on the invoice net 45 days.

I also have a couple who pay immediately or after 2 weeks (you know who you are, I love you!). I don't put anything on their invoice. No need to bother them!

I hope that this helps.
Lucinda
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:05
Finnish to English
Invoice Aug 10, 2006

Write: 'see invoice'

Cheques are just not practical: they may get lost, they are dear sometimes to cash, and agencies usually don't want to know.

There is no need for an agency or work provider to have your bank details prior to offering you work, except to faciliatate use of their own in-house systems.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:05
English to German
+ ...
Part of company stationery Aug 10, 2006

Hi Laura,
I don't work for agencies, so strictly speaking my answer is somewhat OT, but I don't share the concerns voiced. In fact, my company's business account details are shown on our company stationery.

It very much depends on how direct debits work in your country. In Germany, even if someone used my account details to issue an unauthorised direct debit, I can reverse that within six weeks. (Of course this means that you need to check your account on an on-going basis, bu
... See more
Hi Laura,
I don't work for agencies, so strictly speaking my answer is somewhat OT, but I don't share the concerns voiced. In fact, my company's business account details are shown on our company stationery.

It very much depends on how direct debits work in your country. In Germany, even if someone used my account details to issue an unauthorised direct debit, I can reverse that within six weeks. (Of course this means that you need to check your account on an on-going basis, but I take that as given.)

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shall I communicate my bank details to possible agencies?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »