Mobile menu

Internship or in at the deep end?
Thread poster: katherine zawadzka

katherine zawadzka
Local time: 23:21
Italian to English
Sep 4, 2006

Having pretty much decided against an MA as the best route back into translating, I am trying to decide whether it would be best for me to go for an unpaid internship in London or invest my savings in software, dictionaries and the like and just jump in at the deep end. I already have about 4 years experience as a freelancer in my favour but am very rusty as regards CAT tools. London being what it is, I am concerned that I will find myself in more or less the same position in 3 months, without the financial backing to then acquire what I need to set myself up.
If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would really appreciate it as I'm standing at a fork in the road, very unsure as to the direction I should take.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
Local time: 00:21
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Start freelancing and invest some money in training sessions Sep 4, 2006

Hi there!

I'm sure that you are not the only translator out there wanting to get back into translation after a period off, however I doubt that an unpaid internship would be the right way to go.

Many (but certainly not all) translators work in-house before freelancing, using their time as an employee to learn about CAT tools, customer management, project management and the hands-on side of translation.

However you say that you have freelanced before - so you know about most of that. What you feel you need is more experience with CAT tools. So why not start freelancing (slowly at first, but things do pick up) and invest some time and money attending training courses for CAT tools. It'll also give you the opportunity to network with other translators and find out more about what the translation business is like today.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internship or in at the deep end?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs