How to get translator certification by the Court in Holland
Thread poster: June Derlachter
June Derlachter
June Derlachter  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:34
Dutch to English
Sep 12, 2006

I am in the process of getting certified as a translator (Dutch-English) in Canada. Since I don't have a degree or education, I am taking 2 admission exams and need to have other qualifications, e.g -translated more than 50,000 words, etc.
I cannot find any info on how to become "beedigd" as a translator in Rotterdam (where I am moving to in about 1.5 years). Can anyone please advise on who to contact or which organisation? I think that if I am certified here in Canada, I should be able t
... See more
I am in the process of getting certified as a translator (Dutch-English) in Canada. Since I don't have a degree or education, I am taking 2 admission exams and need to have other qualifications, e.g -translated more than 50,000 words, etc.
I cannot find any info on how to become "beedigd" as a translator in Rotterdam (where I am moving to in about 1.5 years). Can anyone please advise on who to contact or which organisation? I think that if I am certified here in Canada, I should be able to get certified by the court of Rotterdam. For some reason, finding this out has been nearly impossible- any info would be much appreciated.
Collapse

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:34
Address of the court Sep 13, 2006

You can find the contact details of the court in Rotterdam on this website. This page contains information about the procedure. It's from the court in Dordrecht (near Rotterdam), but I guess the procedure is the same f... See more
You can find the contact details of the court in Rotterdam on this website. This page contains information about the procedure. It's from the court in Dordrecht (near Rotterdam), but I guess the procedure is the same for every court. It does say however that you can only submit a request to the court in the area where you live, so that means you won't be able to get certified until you actually live in the Netherlands.

One question though: why do you want to be certified by the court? Is it because you want to be able to translate legal documents or do you just want to use it as a credential? In the latter case, it might be a better idea to become a member of the Netherlands Society of Interpreters and Translators (NGTV). The rules for certification by the court will be changed in the near future and from what I've heard they are basically intended for translators and interpreters working for the courts and won't be much use for other translators.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

June Derlachter
June Derlachter  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:34
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
that's good to know! Sep 13, 2006

Thank you so much for your reply! The reason why I would want to be certified is so that I can also translate driver's licenses, birth certificates, etc (for example- for people who are immigrating) and also as a credential. I am happy to hear that the rules are changing in this regard- I already had the intention to join NGTV, so it is nice to hear you mention it (that it is the right step to take!). As soon as I have my Canadian certification, I will be contacting them.
Thanks again- you
... See more
Thank you so much for your reply! The reason why I would want to be certified is so that I can also translate driver's licenses, birth certificates, etc (for example- for people who are immigrating) and also as a credential. I am happy to hear that the rules are changing in this regard- I already had the intention to join NGTV, so it is nice to hear you mention it (that it is the right step to take!). As soon as I have my Canadian certification, I will be contacting them.
Thanks again- your advice is much appreciated.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get translator certification by the Court in Holland

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »