https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/57922-getting_started_some_help_please.html

Getting started. Some help please
Thread poster: Sandra García Alonso
Sandra García Alonso
Sandra García Alonso  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 20, 2006

Hello everybody.
I have been watching your advices to new member of the comunity and I ask me if I am doing a good job with my CV, profile, etc.

I am graduate in Tranlation and Interpretation studies and I have translated some published documents. Nevertheless, It is really difficult to find someone who trust you and offer a job in proz if you are a new one in the comunity.

Anyway, I will be very glad if you help with whatever commentary. Thank you for your attent
... See more
Hello everybody.
I have been watching your advices to new member of the comunity and I ask me if I am doing a good job with my CV, profile, etc.

I am graduate in Tranlation and Interpretation studies and I have translated some published documents. Nevertheless, It is really difficult to find someone who trust you and offer a job in proz if you are a new one in the comunity.

Anyway, I will be very glad if you help with whatever commentary. Thank you for your attention. I am very happy to be part of this big family.
Collapse

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 06:55
English to French
Poor English Oct 20, 2006

My first comment is that your resume and profile contain several errors. Although you don't seem to translate into English, I assume clients would expect the person translating their English text to have a strong command of the language. Perhaps your French is stronger - I don't know. Maybe you should focus more on translations from French IF that's the case.

wilhelmina
wilhelmina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
pro bono translating Oct 20, 2006

One way to get experience and build your CV is through doing pro bono translations, that is also how I got started and, when time permits, I still translate for this organization. One of the main goals of this organisation is get our information translated into as much languages as possible, our web site for starters. Hereby we request (beginning) translators like yourself interested in building their CV to do some translating for us. To determine whether you would like to get involved with t... See more
One way to get experience and build your CV is through doing pro bono translations, that is also how I got started and, when time permits, I still translate for this organization. One of the main goals of this organisation is get our information translated into as much languages as possible, our web site for starters. Hereby we request (beginning) translators like yourself interested in building their CV to do some translating for us. To determine whether you would like to get involved with the non profit organization I mentioned, please check out www.esotericsociety.net
I understand that not everyone is comfortable with esoteric matters and we only encourage those people that are open to this kind of information to respond. We are not a sect or anything freaky like that, just a group of people interested in esoteric matters and the messages we have received for the last 20 years through the trance medium Daan Akkerman. Our financial means are quite limited and all the work is done by volunteers.
A beginning has already been made with the spanish part of the web site, but there is plenty more to be done and if you could do (part of) the french translation that would even be better. Another beginning (spanish) translator already did some pro bono work for us. In return I wrote him a letter of recommendation, helped him with his CV (yours looks fine) and recommended him to some agencies I have worked with. He has done several paid translations for one of those agencies since then. Anyone interested in doing pro bono translating for the esoteric society can contact me at [email protected]. Hope to hear from you, Wilhelmina
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
A Comment Oct 20, 2006

Welcome to our community!

Espero que no te ofendas, pero... es un comentario de suma importancia, tómalo muy en serio.

My comment is that you must start with a fluent command of your second language, in this case English, and it is obvious that you do not have such a command.

Working on that should be your number one priority.

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Keep bidding on jobs Oct 20, 2006

If you wanna do it through proz.com (and that's in part how I've been doing it, and I'm relatively new as well), keep bidding on jobs that match your criteria, and eventually someone will inevitably pick you.

Regards,
Sophia

Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Spanish to English
Translators without Borders/Traductores sin Fronteras Oct 20, 2006

Wilhelmina has good advice: Pro-bono work. Try Translators without Borders and Traductores sin Fronteras. I just did my first job for the latter.

http://www.tsf-twb.org/index-en.shtml
http://www.traductoressinfronteras.net/

Sandra García Alonso
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Oct 20, 2006

Thank you very much for your answers. It's great to find people who try to help you. I have done everything you have told me. Time will show results! Anyway I continue accepting any piece of advice. I will tell you how everything is going.

Thank you again. See you soon.

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
Profile Oct 20, 2006

Hi Sandra,

I was trying to send you an email message with some advice on how to get jobs. Unfortunately, a message was displayed that you do not accept email messages sent via your profile.

All outsourcers will try to contact you by email so I was wondering how you will receive their messages if you do not allow them to be sent. After searching for a translator, they will first find your profile.

Outsourcers hardly ever call you by phone.

M
... See more
Hi Sandra,

I was trying to send you an email message with some advice on how to get jobs. Unfortunately, a message was displayed that you do not accept email messages sent via your profile.

All outsourcers will try to contact you by email so I was wondering how you will receive their messages if you do not allow them to be sent. After searching for a translator, they will first find your profile.

Outsourcers hardly ever call you by phone.

Maybe it is just a configuration problem.

Well, anyway, my advice would be to send your résumé to local translation agencies in your city or province. Another way to find work is to contact some outsourcers that are already listed in the Blue Board.

Initially, I used to translate grade transcripts and birth certificates. I do not know how this works in your country, but usually you can register at several embassies.

Good luck,

Patricia
Collapse

Sandra García Alonso
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a new one!!! Oct 20, 2006

Hahahaha, thank you very much. I did not realize that option. You are right. I do not know why but it was selected by default.

Thank you for your remark! I will follow your advice.

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 12:55
About me Oct 21, 2006

In the "About me" section of your profile you could try to market yourself a bit, i.e. saying that you have a degree in translation is a good start, but you could outline your areas of expertise, include your most recent projects, names of agencies/ other companies you have worked for (if they allow you to do it), etc. Have a look at other translators' profiles (BTW do not consider mine because it doesn't contain much information either, but I'm working on it : ) )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started. Some help please

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »